𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 5: 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓘𝓷𝓷𝓸𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓽 𝓛𝓲𝓽𝓽𝓵𝓮 𝓑𝓾𝓷𝓭𝓵𝓮 𝓸𝓯 𝓙𝓸𝔂

March 18, 1963

All across the palace, it was a joyous occasion. My mother had been in labor for over three hours, my sibling was about to be born. Well, it was joyous to everyone except me. This was the day I would be removed from the succession. My parent's plan was coming to fruition. The painful part was, I had no idea why she wanted me out of the inheritance. I wasn't a troublesome teenager, I was respectful to authority figures, to our way of life. There should be no valid reason to replace me.

Dear Journal,

I don't think I will ever understand my mother and father's thinking in this plan of theirs. I mean it seems to defy common logic. I've never been a bad child, or at least to the point that it seems a necessity to have another heir! My grandmother, Charlotte, threatened my mother when she was ten years old because she was a naughty child. Ransacking the kitchen with the noble children, abandoning her post at state meetings, being openly disrespectful. I don't believe I've been that bad... right? I mean, I blew up at her three years ago about decolonization, and I regret it yes, but that could not possibly be what turned my mother against me! It can't!

A small tear falls onto the page and it saturates the ink, rubbing off some of it. I wipe my eyes and continue writing.

Maybe I shall start looking for a husband, that of course is not my cousin. I mean, once he or she is born I'll have no reason to remain in the palace. But who is the real question? Should I continue the tradition of marrying into a German court? Or should I go more of the path towards a Russian spouse? Prince Sato... oh I wish I could pursue him... he is incredibly handsome and we have been exchanging letters back and forth for months. Whenever I read those letters or see him I feel my heart flutter in delight. But Japan and America have been quite tense, I fear marrying a Japanese man would damage the relationship even more. Oh god, what do I do? I have no intention of my nation feeling as though I've betrayed it. I will write more when I have the chance to.

I closed my journal and set it aside. Then I placed my quill back in the pot of ink. I stood up from my desk and walked to the window. I stared longingly at New York Sound, where massive cruise ships sailed in and out, trade ships departed for faraway lands and the powerful war fleet floated idly as well. I saw hundreds of people conversing, walking and working to and from the port. The massive skyscrapers of New York rose as powerful beacons of our wealth and power.

"Once upon a time this would've been yours, Josephine," I muttered to myself.

I was jolted out of my thoughts with a hard knock on the door.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"It is I, Conroy, your highness," Conroy responded.

"Enter,"

I turned to face my guard as he entered my room. He bowed stiffly and folded his hands behind his back.

"Princess, your mother has just given birth to a healthy baby boy, who has been named John Francis," He stated.

I nodded. Though I wasn't happy about what this meant for me, I was happy that he was born safe and my mother was safe.

"Good, I would hate for either of them to be hurt," I replied roughly, trying to hide my true feelings.

He cocked his right eyebrow, breaking through my facade.

"Something tells me you're not being honest with me your highness," he said, eyeing me.

"Are you accusing me of lying Conroy!"

"Absolutely not! You just seem to be hiding your true emotions,"