𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 27: 𝓑𝓪𝓽𝓽𝓵𝓮 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓦𝓮𝓼𝓽 𝓟𝓸𝓲𝓷𝓽, 𝓟𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓞𝓷𝓮

November 18, 1971

I stared out at New York from my balcony as the first snow of 1971 fell and dusted the streets. I gripped my sweater tightly around my shoulders and smiled. I loved winter. Last year it was unbearably cold, but weather predictions think it will be milder this year. Though Christmas was still well over a month away, it was getting cold again. I could only hope our soldiers up north would handle this winter better. Our new weapons had arrived at the capital and they would be shipped off to the front. My ankle-length royal blue dress fluttered in the wind. Vittorio had returned to Italy months ago and since then, no calls, no letters, nothing. It was as though we had never known each other.

My anxieties about his activities in Italy have tremendously increased. He constantly reassured me that he is devoted to me, and me only, though I do have my doubts. Due to the war, my focus being my soldiers, and crushing the rebellion, which had been dragging on for a whole year now, Vittorio and I had not consummated our marriage, which I could tell he was unhappy about. But I wasn't about to give up my innocence when I feared he was unfaithful.

I was actually starting to settle back into my unmarried life. I hardly wore my wedding ring anymore because I hardly saw my husband. I really hope that doesn't sound selfish, considering he is King of the Italians, but still, I would hope I was entitled to a letter once a week!

Boom. Pop. Boom.

I jolted at the sound of what sounded like gunfire and cannons. They were very distant, but towards the north I could see puffs of grapeshot.

"What the hell?" I muttered to myself.

West Point was our nearest military installation, but that was 56 miles away, there is no way I'd be able to hear cannon fodder from that far away. At best this is a military exercise. At worst some idiots decided to fire off some of the cannons. If that is the case, I can guarantee that someone will catch hell for it.

"Your majesty!?" Someone frantically asked.

I turned and my serenity was abruptly cut short when I turned to see a frantic Lord Corbon.

"Lord Corbon, what is the meaning of this... uninvited arrival?" I asked.

His facial expression was grave.

"Your majesty, rebel forces are 50 miles from the Capital,"

Wait, what!?

"I'm sorry, excuse me!?" I demanded.

"Rebel forces have trapped Marcus Dimopoulous's retreating army at West Point, he fears that they will besiege him throughout the winter and up to 60% of his army will perish,"

My head was spinning. Why was I only hearing about this now?

"Your majesty, we need to get you out of the Capital right now," Corbon explained quickly.

I didn't have to think of my response, I already knew it.

"No," I replied.

"What? Your majesty, they will attack the Capital soon!"

"I said no!" I shot back.

My posture remained unmoved, telling him I wasn't backing down.

"... Then when the rebels sack New York and hang you in Times Square for all the world to see, then maybe you'll understand-"

"Lord Corbon don't you dare condemn me! May I ask how many Imperial Guard are there in New York?"

"Umm... I believe over 6000 your majesty..."