𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 63: 𝓜𝓮𝓮𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓜𝔂 𝓗𝓾𝓼𝓫𝓪𝓷𝓭'𝓼 𝓕𝓪𝓶𝓲𝓵𝔂

September 30, 1979

Liege, Kingdom of Belgium

Mattéo drove through the quiet suburban neighborhood of Liege and not a word was spoken between us. I was nervous, incredibly nervous. This was the first time in almost thirty years that I had been without some sort of protection. Guards, soldiers who were to die for me if necessary... I had never been alone and it was wracking me. Mattéo knew I was nervous and that I was struggling to go through with my promise.

But, as the word suggested I had promised my husband that I would meet his family, something very important to him...

Mattéo parked the car in front of a large house with a white picket fence going around the perimeter. It was pretty large for a family, but Mattéo had said that he has a pretty large family.

"Okay, Josey... are you ready?"

I took a deep breath and looked at him. His poisonous hazel eyes were filled with worry. He wanted me to be safe, to feel safe in the company of him and his family.

"...How do I look?"

He looked me in the eyes, dead serious, "You look as gorgeous as always Josey..."

"Thank you... okay then... let's do this..."

We both opened the doors to the little car we had rented. Mattéo rushed around to me after locking the door.

"You look beautiful as always... don't worry..."

Our hands clasped together and we walked towards the door.

"So... I don't want to appear a bit dimwitted, can you tell me a little bit more about your family?"

"Well, you know about my mother and father, I have four brothers and two sisters... a cat and a small little rabbit,"

"Okay, that will suffice, I'm sure they'll be more than willing to tell me more about themselves,"

"Oh believe me they will!" Mattéo said, cracking a smile.

We walked up the wooden steps onto the front porch, my teal floral dress that cut off just below my knees swishing around my legs. I actually felt quite relieved wearing this. It wasn't too fancy or flaunting of my riches, but quite down to Earth. 

"Ready?"

I nodded as I could hear the jumbled excited voices from inside. Mattéo pressed the doorbell and the cheery tune echoed through the busy house.

"I'll get it! It might be Mattéo!" A muffled male voice exclaimed.

I hear the pattering of someone's feet approaching the door, followed by the door opening. A man, probably in his late fifties or early sixties stood in front of us. He was a short, stout man with graying hair but a pearly grin.

"Mattéo my son!" He hugged Mattéo, "How are you?"

Well, it didn't take a genius to find out that this was his father.

"I'm doing great dad!"

He looked at me.

"Oh and this must be your wife!"

He paused for a second.

"Please, you must forgive me, I don't recall if Mattéo even told us your name..."

"Josephine,"

"Josephine! What a lovely name! It is so good to finally meet you!"

He extended his hand and I shook it.