𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 21: 𝓞𝓷𝓮 𝓢𝓽𝓮𝓹 𝓕𝓸𝓻𝔀𝓪𝓻𝓭, 𝓣𝓱𝓻𝓮𝓮 𝓢𝓽𝓮𝓹𝓼 𝓑𝓪𝓬𝓴

October 28, 1970

My eyes flashed back and forth, filling with glee. They took in every detail of William Joseph Mackenzie's telegraph, making sure not to miss a single character.

Your majesty-

I am pleased to say that the Columbian Republic has collapsed under the boot of the Imperial Eagle, they have surrendered in droves as our troops make acquaintance with Vancouver and Victoria. In fact, there are so many I cannot possibly fathom of what to do with them! My soldiers and I are eager for our next tasks to serve our great sovereign! I hope I have proven my skill in war and you will allow me to prove this elsewhere.

-William Joseph Mackenzie, Commander of the Columbian Front

I folded the letter up and laid it on my desk. I pulled out a telegraph page and pulled out a feather and dipped it into the pot of ink on the wooden desk. I pressed the tip of the quail's feather onto the paper and began to scrawl my response. Once I had completed the draft, it would be typed up by my aides, and the message sent via the telegraph lines to Mackenzie's headquarters in Vancouver. 

General Mackenzie-

Your progress has favored me over the lack of gains in the East. Those old men seem unable to adapt to the rebels' tactics. However, it is simply the lack of meritocracy. It seems you and General Marcus Dimopoulous know how to combat them far better. Especially after the death of Allister Hookstratten in battle. In case you aren't aware, the Imperial colors fly high above Montreal and Quebec City. Unfortunately, Quebec's militia has retreated into the thick, swampy marshes of the north. I have quickly come up with your new orders: The imperial police are en route to occupy Columbia so your 30,000 brave soldiers are no longer required. I have decided to replace General Vickors with you so hopefully, we can see some advances on the Ontario Front. I wish to hear more from you when you arrive at the front. If you desire, you may advance through the countryside instead of sailing around South America.

Her Majesty Empress Josephine

I placed the feathery quill back in the round iron pot and stood up. An aide rushed to my side as I gingerly folded the letter in my palm. This was not a last-minute decision either, Vickors had been slow, and slacking off, and his failure to achieve his objectives had earned my ire. Also, the military system had been in desperate needing of reform, something I had worked on earlier on. Generals were promoted based on noble blood, rather than merit. This was egregious. It was an outdated and ridiculous system. I mean, bloody Napoleon reformed his military forces in the late 1700s! It was the late 1960s at the time, and the fact we still had a noble-based promotion system annoyed me. 

Of course, the nobility whined and complained, but, as an absolute monarch, I can tell them to... erm... what is the term? Ah yes, take a hike. Those are the moments I enjoy my immense power, because the nobles are just a bunch of whiny brats. 

"Wire this to General Mackenzie at once, and inform General Vickors of his replacement," I said as I handed the letter to the aide.

She nodded.

"What about the Hanoverians, your majesty?" She asked.

I looked up at her and chuckled sarcastically.

"What two hoots should I give about Hanover? I have no interest in German affairs," I said, rather rudely.

But it is true. Hanover is the only fully independent state in Germany, not incorporated into Germania. The fact they had somehow averted Konrad's conquering eye was beyond me. Then again, who would suicide charge their army across the Rhine or the Dnieper to defend Hanover