𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 12: 𝓜𝔂 𝓕𝓲𝓻𝓼𝓽 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓸𝓻𝔂

August 13, 1965

American troops had been on the ground for two weeks. My time frame had been pretty spot on, Syria was swiftly conquered after paratroopers wreaked havoc behind enemy lines. A majority of Palestine was under Coalition control, with only Tyre and Jerusalem holding out. American marines were battling in the streets of Tyre, but the defenders have reportedly grown weary. Jerusalem on the other hand is a tough nut to crack. The city is a literal fortress and our men have yet to split the seams of the Jihadist defense.

Currently in Command Operations, radar was recording signals of our troops and the phones were dead. They were to remain dead unless news from the front needed our attention. General Hookstratten and General Cochrane sat with me, our nerves shot and all of us hiked on caffeine. I swear to you, I have not slept in three days. General Westminster was commanding the siege of Jerusalem and General Vickers was leading the Syrian Occupation. I tugged at the buttons of my blazer. Computer analysts, radar managers and other officers typed fervently at computers. I tapped my nails rapidly on the steel table where maps lay strewn about.

RING RING! RING RIN-!

General Cochrane slammed his hand on the phone and put it on speaker phone.

"This is General Cochrane,"

"General this is Lieutenant John Yarrow, I have some great news for the Empress!" He answered excitedly.

"I am right here lieutenant, you may proceed," I replied.

"... Your majesty... Tyre has fallen,"

Let me tell you, the sighs of relief! It was like the Liberation of France!

"Thank the Lord!" General Hookstratten cried out, throwing his officers hat into the air and thrusting his arms into the air.

Tyre had been battled for since day one. How it held out for this long is beyond me, but I do not care. If only Jerusalem could fall today, then this would be the best day of my life!

The phone hung up and General Cochrane pulled a bottle of wine out of the cupboard below the table.

"How about a drink?" He asked.

"Cheers!" Hookstratten shouted.

"What about you, your majesty?" He asked, holding the bottle of aged wine.

"Oh I'm not old enough to be drinking-"

"Come on your majesty, have a little fun!" He countered.

You know what? I deserve to have a drink!

"Pour me a glass general!" I shouted.

The generals and staff cheered and drinks began pouring galore.

RING RING! RING-!

While everyone else was drinking I picked up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Oh! Your majesty, I was not expecting you to answer! Nevertheless, I have great news!" General Westminster shouted amongst screaming men and gunfire.

"Oh?" I responded, hoping and praying that he was informing me of what I was hoping he was.

"We've broken the defenses of Jerusalem! But defenders are really holding their ground! They'll do anything to repel us- Oh my god there are children on the field!" He exploded, completely going off on a tangent.

"Calm down general, listen to me, do what you must to quickly subdue the city, this is the last leg of jihadist resistance!" I hissed into the phone.

"... Yes your majesty, Jerusalem will be ours by morning," He replied, confidence returning to his voice.

I hung up the phone as a glass of wine was slid down to me.

"Gentleman!" I called out, turning every man's attention to me.

I raised my glass.

"Jerusalem's perimeter has been broken!"

They cheered.

"ALL HAIL AMERICA! ALL HAIL THE SOVEREIGN!"

We all drank our wine, most fast like a shot to get more, but I sipped mine slowly, taking in the rich flavors. American wine is the most sought-after French wine, so I was expecting delicacy, and I was not disappointed.

"You've already won your first war Josephine... But don't let peace weaken you, war could return at any point," I muttered to myself.