𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓵𝓸𝓰𝓾𝓮: 𝓣𝓪𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓗𝓮𝓻 𝓕𝓲𝓷𝓪𝓵 𝓑𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓱𝓼... 𝓔𝓷𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓗𝓮𝓻 𝓥𝓸𝔂𝓪𝓰𝓮

November 23, 2020

Maes Ranch, Kiptopeke, Virginia District

I think it is happening. I think I am finally dying. I've grown tired for the past few days. I haven't left bed. The way John Charles, Victoria and Junior came down here so quickly... it was more than obvious. The way they hushed their tones around me...

I knew I was dying. But, for some reason, I wasn't afraid. I was old, I had lived a long, fulfilling life.

For the past three years Mattéo and I had lived in Kiptopeke as normal people. Only a select few had deduced who we were, but made no efforts to spread the word.

We've spent our days relaxing, walking along the winding trails behind our ranch. I have made no efforts to try and ride any of the horses. We've spent entire days on the beach, just... there, relaxing...

The past three years have been some of the best in my recent life.

As I lie in bed, our family practitioner is talking to a solemn Mattéo, John Charles, Lily, and Victoria. Junior is at my bedside, holding one of my hands. Sophie is standing nearby, thinking something to herself. I feel myself growing weaker by the minute.

I can see him... the Grim Reaper standing in the corner, holding his sickle. He gives a chilling wave. My time is limited.

"I know I'm dying..."

Mattéo turns to me, along with my son, daughters, and adopted daughter.

"Josey?"

"It is fairly obvious that my time is fast approaching... a priest visited yesterday... I know it is coming. I can see the reaper in the room. He is waiting for me..."

"Mom... please don't say that..." Junior whimpered.

"Come, please, sit," I remarked softly.

My family pulled up chairs and sat next to me.

"John Charles, my beautiful boy... you truly are a boy who lets the sunshine through your soul... you have been the perfect son... I could not have wished for a better man to be my successor..."

He had been doing a phenomenal job leading the Empire... or should I say, the Imperial Federation? Yes, I had been unable to complete it during my reign, but my son had, and the people had rejoiced. Finally, America was moving forward into a new era. An era free of absolutism. 

"Mom, it really has been an honor being your son..."

"Hey... where is Hannah?"

Hannah was John Charles' wife. Carina's father had married her off, though she still remained close friends with my son. He had married a girl named Hannah Judean, who wasn't of royal breeding, but rather a Canadian girl. I could not have been more proud of him...

"I told you mom, she gave birth a few days ago..."

"Ah right... boy or girl?"

John Charles sniffled. My mind has been decaying for some time now. I was more forgetful...

"She had triplets mom, Anna, John Charles the Sixth, and Harrison,"

"What lovely names, and I see you've desired to carry on our historic name... I am so proud of you my beautiful, beautiful boy..."

I turned now to Junior who was already tearing up.

"Josephine Junior... I could've never wished for a better girl to be my firstborn... you have become such a remarkable young woman. Fabien is right to gloat about his wife,"