THIRTY-NINE

We mingle around for a little while, meeting with and talking to random people. Various come over to greet me, and Liam and I barely get a second to ourselves. An old lady walks over to us just as we get free from talking to Olivia and Dave. She is a short woman with small, rectangular glasses placed on her nose. The mole on her upper lip sticks out over her pale skin. Her hair is as white as snow and her skin has been wrinkled by time but she is still dressed beautifully. Surprisingly, she still walks without any trouble as she makes her way to us and halts, quickly eyeing me from my head to toe before she speaks.

"Ah, Luna. I heard about our Alpha being mated to a half-human wolf, but I didn't believe it," she greets with a smile.

"Well, believe it," I chuckle.

"This is Edith. One of the high-ranking witches of our pack," Liam informs while gesturing towards her and her warm smile never falters.

"It's nice to meet you," I say politely.

"I have read about someone like you, but I never thought I'd live long enough to see it," she muses as she stares intently at me and then takes a step forward.

"What," I mumble, as she takes my hand and places it between both of hers.

"Yes, I can sense great power within you," she ponders, still looking at my hand enclosed in hers.

"What power," I chuckle nervously.

"Are you saying you've never used it?" Her eyes look up to meet mine as she asks in shock.

"Used what," I question with a raised brow.

"Strange," she mumbles, mostly to herself, as she lets go of my hand.

"I'm so confused right now," I shake my head as I turn to look at Liam whose expression matches mine.

"Perhaps you just need some practice..." she starts before she is interrupted by someone.

"Granny, there you are," a young girl of about nineteen or twenty in a stunning red dress rushes to join us.

"I'm sorry, Alpha," she says looking at Liam with a slight bow of her head.

"Luna," she greets me with the same gesture. "Has she been bothering you," she looks towards her grandmother as she asks.

"No, no. Of course, not. Just saying some very peculiar stuff," I laugh, brushing it off and she visibly relaxes.

"You are special, Luna. I can tell," Edith announces and then walks away.

"See," I say gesturing towards her receding figure.

"I'm sorry about that," the girl chuckles nervously and then straightens herself. She extends her hand towards me. "I'm Rayna."

"Hi, Rayna. April," I reply, shaking her hand.

"She can be like that sometimes. She spends so much time with these weird, old books, even I can't understand what she's talking about half the time," she explains her grandmother's behavior with a laugh.

"That being said, if she said she sensed something within you, she probably did," she adds seriously. "Granny may be old, but she's still one of the greatest witches of her time," she shrugs but I can sense the pride in her voice.

"Yeah, well. I can assure you, I have no powers," I chuckle.

"There's no harm in finding out," she exclaims. "Why don't you come visit the house tomorrow morning?"

Before I can answer her, Liam cuts me off.

"Are you serious? I have lived here my entire life and I was never allowed in that house. You've met her once and she's already invited?" His tone sounds annoyed as he points towards me.