FIVE

Liam

It's 1 AM and I am training in the gym when my father mind-links me.

"Liam, I need to see you immediately."

He is using his Alpha tone which means something is wrong and he is pissed. It's hard to say no to an Alpha, let alone the Alpha of all Alphas. But, it's easy to get away with it when it's your father. Although, it's not like I was planning on saying no.

I rush to my room to take get cleaned up and then go see my father in his office. It's not unusual for my father to work this late these days. Tensions are high among a few packs and he has to make sure no wars are started among the werewolves. What is unusual, though, is that he still has to.

He wants to pass the title down to me but I'm not allowed to take over until I find my mate. I have tried convincing him that these rules are stupid and old but he refuses to listen. It wasn't a big deal for him since he found my mom the day he turned twenty-one, but I've been waiting for five years and it still hasn't happened for me.

I knock on his door and then enter when I hear him say "come in".

"Hey dad, what's wrong?"

"Your brother has been in a fight with Alpha Price's son," he sounds angry and rightfully so. Lucas is a lot smarter than this and knows better than to get in fights. That's usually my job.

"Are you sure it was Lucas? It doesn't make sense," I ask him. Lucas is the calm one in our family; definitely the opposite of me. It isn't like him to get into a fight.

"Yes, it was him. I need you to go see him tomorrow morning and find out what the issue is."

"How did you find out about it?" I ask, curiosity rising within me.

"Alpha Price called me. He is not happy about this, obviously. How do you expect me to stop a war when my own son is out picking fights with other packs?"

"It doesn't sound like Lucas to go pick a fight," I trail off thinking what could possibly have happened to anger the ever-calm Lucas.

"I know that. Which is why I need you to go there and find out what really happened before I decide how to deal with the situation."

I agree with my father and return to my room to get as much sleep as I can since I would have to get up early to go see my brother.

Lucas doesn't stay with us a lot. He wanted to be a doctor and heal people instead of harming them as more wolves are inclined to do. At first, he used to commute from the pack but after a while he decided to stay in the city since his work load was getting too much. He will return in three months, after his graduation, to continue training with the pack doctors so he can learn to treat wolves.

My wolf, River, is weirdly excited about tomorrow's trip.

I wake up around 7 and get ready to leave. I am out by 8. It's a couple of hours ride to Lucas's med school. I reach around 10 and wait outside in the parking lot. I text Lucas that I am here and wanted to see him. He definitely wasn't expecting this and asks me to come meet him outside the library in 15 minutes. River is pacing around in my head and wants me to leave now. I wait for a little while but then deicide to leave, getting annoyed by River. I reach the hallway outside the library. There are a few people scattered around here and there and I stand there and wait for Lucas.

Suddenly someone bumps into my back and I hear a soft "Ouch!" Who the fuck is so blind they can't see a huge man? I turn around quickly to see who it is and am met with a girl with blonde hair. She looks up at me with her blue eyes and I am hit with the most intoxicating scent of jasmines and tuberoses and coconuts. River is howling in my head and yelling "Mate! Mate! Mate!"

She quickly apologises but continues speaking. I can't understand a single word coming out of her mouth with River jumping around in my head. I hear her say something about me being really tall and that she's sorry if she hurt me. I tell River to shut up so I can focus on what she's saying and he finally calms down.

"Alright, I'm just gonna go now. Have a nice day! Blessed be thy fruit," she says and runs away. I turn around and look at her quizzically. What the hell just happened? And what the fuck is 'blessed be thy fruit'?

While I am lost in thoughts, Lucas finally decides to show up.

"Hey bro! Fancy seeing you here," he says with a grin.

"Hey," I reply. Does he not know why I'm here?

"You could have at least warned me, I would've let you know when I was free so you didn't have to wait this long," he continues.

"I'm here on pack business, Lucas. Dad told me you were in a fight last night with Alpha Price's son, of all people. When the fuck did you get so stupid?" I'm starting to get pissed off now.

"How on Earth did you guys find out about that?"

"Alpha Price called Dad. I'm sure his son talks to his father when he gets into a fight with another Alpha's son," I say taunting him.

"That little shit," Lucas says angrily.

"So what the fuck happened then? Goddess, Lucas, how could you be so fucking stupid to start a fight with someone like that while we're already on the verge of a war?"

"I'm not the one that fucking started it Liam. Tell Dad to get his facts straight before he sends you out here to accuse me."

"Well, why the fuck do you think I'm here?"

We're talking rather loudly now and people are starting to notice.

"Look, I have a class right now and I don't wanna cause a scene," Lucas says, calming down a little bit, "why don't you meet me in the parking lot in an hour and we'll talk then?"

"Ugh, fine," I say exasperated.

"Alright, see you then," Lucas says as he runs off.

I have nothing to do here so I decide to take a walk around campus to kill time.