FIFTY-ONE

"Well, someone's unusually chipper this morning," Rayna smirks. "Sleep well?"

"Very well," I reply with a wink.

Liam was surprisingly still asleep inside. When I had tried to wake him up, he had just grumbled and went back to sleep. It made me realise that he was as affected by this situation as I was.

"So, I've come up with a new idea today," Rayna speaks excitedly.

"Great. Let's see what else I can fail at," I grumble.

"I figured your focus would be much improved if there were some consequences involved," she sounds like she is very proud of whatever idea she has come up with but I have yet to see what she is raving about.

"So the concept is the same," she swishes her hand and the ugly rock appears above us once again. "Stop the rock from crashing into the ground. But, this time, if you can't stop it, that little birdie is going to die." She flicks her other hand and a small, yellow bird appears under the rock.

"Rayna, what are you doing? You know I can't stop it."

"Alright. Ready, set," she seems to be deliberately ignoring me. "Go!" She yells as she lets go of the rock.

My hands shoot up towards the rock, my eyes darting between it and the tiny bird that Rayna has somehow trapped into an invisible circle right underneath the rock.

"Do something, Rayna," I yell, unable to make any movement to the rock.

"You do something, April," she answers, calmly.

I scream in horror as the rock lands and crushes the little bird under its weight.

My mouth is still hung open in shock when Rayna flicks her hand and another rock appears in the sky.

"How do you feel about kittens, April?" She asks as a tiny, adorable kitten appears under the rock this time.

"Rayna, stop." I yell, but it's too late and she has already let go.

My stomach lurches into my throat as I try, once again, to stop the demise of the poor kitten. This time I focus solely on the rock, willing the energy to flow out of me.

After a few seconds, it seems like it has started to work. I realise I might just be able to do this but its too late and the rock thuds to the ground. I feel bile rise up in my throat. Before I can even take a breath, Rayna is at it again. This time with a puppy.

"Come on, April. How many innocent animals will have to die before you can suck it up and save them?" She questions, irritated.

"Please, stop this," I whimper.

"Stop being so pathetic, April. And do something," she rolls her eyes, letting go of the rock again.

Tears brim my eyes and sweat lines my forehead as I try to stop it, once again with no success.

I bend down with my hands on my knees. It feels like I might throw up. Rayna took it too far. I look up angrily at her, only to see her eyes on something behind me.

"Well, hello there Alpha," she murmurs, her head cocked to the side, a mischievous look in her eye.

I turn around to see Liam, still in his sweatpants and T-shirt staring at us with his hands in his pockets.

"You okay, April?" He asks.

Before I can answer, Rayna interrupts.

"Well, April. It seems you didn't really care about those poor babies," she glances towards the three rocks on the ground, now crushing the bodies of the poor animals. "But maybe, you'll do something when your mate is in danger," she smirks as a rock appears above Liam.