FORTY-FIVE

Liam is already in bed when I return to the room. He excused himself while I spent a couple of hours talking and catching up with Mom and George.

He looks up from his phone and smiles.

"Why aren't you asleep? You look exhausted."

"I was waiting for you," he responds, innocently.

I sit down next to him on the bed. "Well, that was dumb. If I'd known, I would've come back sooner."

"I didn't want to disturb you," he sets his phone down and gently strokes my hand.

"Okay, give me five minutes. I'm just gonna take a quick shower and I'll be back," I ask and he lets my hand go.

I rush to the bathroom and take the quickest shower. After brushing my teeth and changing into a pair of pajamas with a tank top, I head back into the room. I can't help but chuckle a little when I notice Liam's already passed out. He waited two hours but a few extra minutes were his undoing.

I settle into the bed and he wraps his arm around me, pulling me closer. I turn around to see if I might have woken him but he's still fast asleep. Snuggling closer into his chest, I inhale his deliciously toxic scent and within a few minutes, feel myself drifting off to sleep.

~~~

Most of the next morning goes by in a rush. From getting everything packed, to having breakfast with Mom and George, and saying our goodbyes, there is very little time for us to do anything else. So it isn't until we get in the car and set off to return back home that I can ask Liam how everything went at the Conference.

"Everything was surprisingly normal. Nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. Daxton wasn't around for the most part and I was this close," he gestures bringing his thumb and index finger close together, "—to losing my shit when he showed up in front of me during the lunch break, but before I could do anything, he just started apologising," he shakes his head in disbelief.

"Obviously, no one said anything about the rogue attack we had when I brought it up and Alpha Price acted oblivious about it, just like he did on the phone."

"Didn't you ask him about Michael?" I wondered aloud.

"No. I didn't want to bring him up. Otherwise, he would find out that we knew about everything him and his son had been up to."

I hummed in agreement.

"Anyway, now that they've all chosen me as the Head Alpha, I can start talking to a few of them in private about the whole rogue situation and we can decide where to go from there. Because if there is going to be a war, we better make sure we have majority of the Alphas' support," he states, staring ahead at the road.

"There could be a war?" I squeak, horrified.

Liam takes his free hand and holds mine with it, bringing it to his lips and placing a soft, sweet kiss on the back. "It's all going to be fine. That is just the worst case scenario and the likelihood of that happening is very, very low," he emphasises.

"Besides, from what I witnessed at the pack yesterday, I think Alpha Price is really tired of his son's antics. He even told me himself that he had warned Daxton to get his shit together or he won't name him the Alpha and hand over the reins to his nephew instead."

Not having anything to add to the conversation, I just nod my head as I stare straight at the road ahead.

"Don't worry, baby. I've got you," he gives me his prettiest smile and winks, making me laugh.

Soon we are out of Blood Moon's territory and Liam pulls the top off the car, letting the wind enchant the both of us.

Jason and the warriors are closely following us in two separate cars. But as soon as we're away from Blood Moon, Liam decides to speed up, leaving them too far behind to even be visible to us. My hand is still in his and the strong wind now ruffles through my hair.