FORTY-FOUR

Faint rustling sounds jostle me awake. Liam's blurry figure is moving around under the faint light coming in from the window.

"Oh hey, I didn't mean to wake you up. Go back to sleep," he kisses my temple as my vision clears. He's rummaging through his suitcase and is not completely dressed yet.

"It's okay. I'm up now. How about I make you some coffee while you get dressed?" I offer, sitting up.

"That would be so great. Thank you," he pecks my lips and heads into the bathroom.

When I return with a hot cup of coffee, the aroma of which is tantalising my nostrils, already making me regret not making myself a cup, Liam is rushing around all over the room. He is a sight for sore eyes in his navy blue suit making him look as delicious as ever.

"My my. It should be a crime to look that good in a suit. I'm already jealous of all the girls that are going to be seeing you looking like this," I say with a small laugh.

He doesn't turn around and continues to rush around grabbing things here and there. "Not now, April," he groans which sends a pang of hurt through me. His response is much more upsetting to Jade.

"Calm down, he is clearly stressed," I comfort her.

Although, at this point, I'm a little concerned about him too. He's already so stressed out and he's not even at the conference yet.

"Hey, are you sure I shouldn't go with you? You look really worried," I ask, my voice laden with concern. He finally turns around to face me but he doesn't look very happy with my offer.

"Goddes, April. How many times do we need to have this conversation? Stop acting like a child," he says a little too loudly.

"I get it, Liam. There's no need to yell," I reply, trying to keep my voice calm and level.

"I already can't find the fucking folder I need for the meeting and you're here with the same old nonsense," he continues, angrily.

"Oh, I gave it to Tyler yesterday. He said he needed to make some changes to it and would return it to you before we left," I inform, trying to ignore his offensive remark.

"Why the fuck would you do that?" He shouts, making me flinch. "Fucking hell, April, why the fuck wouldn't you ask me before giving it away?"

His tone had gotten worse and it had started to piss me off now.

"You're being very rude, Liam. And I do not appreciate the way you're speaking to me," I state, matter-of-factly.

He groans, running his hands through his hair. "I'm leaving. I'm already getting late," he announces flatly, grabs his blazer, and walks past me to leave, with the coffee still in my hands.

~~~

"I've seen the way he looks at you, April. He absolutely adores you," my mom coos. Liam has really made an impression on her and she seems to already love him.

It's always very easy for mothers to figure out when you're not completely being yourself. It's like they can sense when there's something wrong with you. My mom did too, and I had to explain the whole situation that unfolded this morning. For some reason that was beyond my understanding, she was taking Liam's side and constantly defending him.

"That may be true but he's not allowed to talk to me that way." I state, trying to avoid the pain my heart felt every time I thought about the way he behaved.

"You're right, sweetie. But like you said, he was stressed so just cut him some slack," she advised.

I hummed in response and went back to making the cooking dough that I had started working on to distract myself.

I had texted Jason to ask how everything was going around 2pm, since I was too mad to talk to Liam. It is almost 5 now and Jason still hasn't responded so I desperately need a distraction or I am going to go insane. My phone pings and I run to check it. It is Jason and he has finally texted me back.

Hey. Just got done with the meeting. Everything went surprisingly smoothly. Liam was unanimously selected as the Head and Daxton even apologized to him for his behavior.

Well, that was odd. We expected them to create some trouble during the conference, but perhaps this whole thing really was an attempt to make amends. And Daxton's apology was clearly proof of that.

I sighed in relief. I could finally stop worrying so much about everything. Although, the topic of what Daxton did with those innocent girls still had to be dealt with. But if they were being so cooperative, perhaps there was a chance that it could be done in a civil manner.

George was back too so I decide to spend some time with him. After talking to him for a while, I figure Liam should be back soon so I return to finish the cookies.

I'm still in the kitchen when I hear Liam return. My Mom opens the door and I hear him ask her about me but before he can make his way over to me, he is stopped on the way by George who takes him to the living room.

Well, he's probably not going to be free from him for a while now. George is the closest thing I have to a father and I'm sure he isn't going to let Liam go before bombarding him with a million questions. I chuckle inwardly because Liam definitely deserves that after this morning.

I finally put the cookies in the oven and begin wiping the counter to clean up all the mess I created when I feel two strong arms wrap around me.

"I heard you were making me cookies," he speaks in his low, husky, voice that sends a shiver down my spine as he rests his head in the crook of my neck.

"I don't make cookies for assholes," I state as I turn around.

He pulls his arms away and takes a step back sensing the hostility. His eyes look tired and the sleeves of his shirt are folded up to his elbows. I almost want to run my hand through his disheveled hair but I remind myself that I'm supposed to be mad at him.

"April, baby, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have talked to you like that. You're right, I am an asshole but please forgive me," he stares at me with puppy-dog eyes. They are absolutely adorable and I am so close to melting right into his arms, but I keep my control.

"That's not going to work on me, Liam," my voice is flat and devoid of any expression.

"That idiot Jason had the folder and I was stressed for no reason," he continues.

I open my mouth to speak again but he interrupts me.

"And I know, I know. I still had no right to speak to you that way and I am so, so sorry. I know you're upset. You didn't even call or text to ask about the meeting," he said, sadly.

"I promise it won't happen again. Now please, just let me hug you because you've been ignoring me all day and I fucking miss you," he pleads.

"I mean, I texted Jason," I mumble, playing with my fingers.

He crosses his arms around his chest and gives me a look that says 'seriously?'

I simply shrug in response. We stare at each other for a few seconds until he sighs and loosens up.

"So. Peace?" He asks, hopefully.

"Ugh, fine. Peace."