FIFTY-FOUR

Liam

It is time. Based on the last sightings we had of Daxton's small army, one that he has somehow gathered by promising them Goddess knows what in return, they should reach us in about an hour or two. It's beyond me why they are choosing to attack under the bright light of the sun, no matter how much cover the clouds offer.

Cole is dividing the gathered warriors into the two assigned groups. Everyone is here and ready. Daxton has been a pain in the ass for most of the Alphas here today and they're almost as happy as me to be rid of him. Once this is done and over with, we will deal with his father, who I'm sure played an equal hand in this.

April stands next to me, watching everything with curious eyes. I hate that she is so stubborn and forced me to agree to letting her fight. But I knew it was either that or she would've run off to fight him on his own. It's better this way because at least now I can send some people along with her to keep her safe. As Gamma, the job falls to Tyler who is taking this situation more seriously than anything else in his life. I can't help but feel slightly proud of him.

As much as I hated to do it, I decided to appoint Jason in-charge of keeping everyone else in the pack in a safe place at all times. April made a promise to Amy, as silly as it was, and I couldn't help myself but help her fulfil it.

"You are all the West group," I hear Tyler announce. "And will be following Alpha Liam."

"And you will go North with Alpha Chase," he informs the group on the other side.

"Really, Liam?" Jason comes at me from behind. "You really thought I'd be okay with you putting me on the sidelines while you all go and fight?"

I can't bring up why I had asked him to do that since he has yet to tell me about Amy. But I also know that he knows why I did it.

"Men," I hear April whisper behind me. I can swear she is rolling her eyes at the moment.

"Fine. You can go with April and Tyler will come with me," I decide not to waste my time arguing with him.

"As your Beta, I should—" I cut him off mid-sentence.

"You should listen to my orders. My decision is final."

"I know what you're doing, Liam," I can sense the anger in his voice.

"It's either that or back to the pack house," I order and turn away to let him know it's not up for debate. He huffs but then walks away.

The major part of the day passes in wait but there is no sign of anyone. I know they are nearby but they are deliberately choosing not to attack. Probably waiting for nightfall. If I had known this is how they were going to play it, I would have gone on the offensive. But right now we have all our men stationed for defence and it's too late to change strategy.

The final warmth of the sun disappears once again behind a cloud, its light barely shimmering through. Soon, that is gone too and the night sky engulfs everything in complete darkness. Even the moon is slim tonight so visibility is poor. Lucky for us, we know the lands and can use this to our advantage.

I advice my men to be on the lookout for any movement in the woods, ordering everyone to be on high alert as night falls. I'm almost convinced that they might not come tonight when a loud explosion goes off in the woods. Heads turn in various directions, searching for any sign of an attack. Everyone takes their position to fight but after a few seconds, there is nothing but silence.

Then another explosion goes off. But this time it's far away. My men confirm it's at the North flank. And then another right in front of us. I order my men to slowly start making their way into the woods uphill, with the few men in the trees keeping lookout. If they aren't going to come to us, it's time we go to them.

We move forward and I finally hear a fight break out ahead of me. By the time I get there, about fifteen to twenty wolves lie dead. All of our warriors are uninjured having outnumbered them easily. But that begs another question. Why were there so few of them?

Before I can give it another thought, another bomb goes off not that far off in the distance. We follow the sound and once again, by the time I reach the spot, our warriors have already taken care of the enemies. It makes no sense. What seems to be their strategy?

I order one of the men to ask Alpha Chase what is happening on his end.

"Same thing, Alpha," he responds after taking a few moments to mind-link. "It's like they're trying to get us away from the pack."

Yes but away from what exactly? They still can't enter without going through us first.

The moment the answer clicks, I hear April's terrified voice on the mind-link, knocking the wind out of me.

"They're here, Liam. They're all here."