FORTY-ONE

"Is he okay?" My heart drops into my stomach as soon as I think about something happening to Liam.

"He's fine but he's losing control and we need you to calm him down. Just hurry up."

My heart hammers inside my chest as I rush to make my way to the pack house. Muttering quick apologies to the couple of people I almost bump into on my way, I finally stop to catch my breath once I reach the hallway outside Liam's office.

Jason and Tyler greet me as soon as I come into their line of vision and from the looks on their faces, I can tell they are reluctant to go inside Liam's office and face him.

A loud thrash from inside the room captures my attention and my head snaps towards the source of the sound. Understanding my confusion, Jason immediately offers an explanation.

"He got a phone call and has been like this ever since."

I nod and make my way over to the door. Inhaling a deep breath, I slowly open it a little and take a peek inside before walking in.

Liam slumps into his chair and throws his fist onto the table while cursing under his breath. I let myself in and he lifts his head up instantly at my arrival. His eyes constantly shift from grey to gold which means River is pissed too. About what, though, I still have no idea.

"Hey, baby," I call out softly. His eyes immediately soften at my words and finally settle on their usual beautiful, bright grey. I realise it might have something to do with me calling him baby for the first time.

"What's wrong," I ask as I make my way over to him.

Instead of answering, he pulls me towards him and into his lap, earning an involuntary giggle due to his sudden movement. He looks at me and groans in disapproval making me tilt my head in confusion. In an instant, his hands reach up to the high neck of my top and rip it, exposing my neck. I gasp in horror and he settles his head into the crook of my neck, inhaling deeply to calm himself down.

"You keep ruining my clothes," I chide.

He takes a few more breaths and his chest finally stops heaving.

"I'll buy you more," he finally retorts.

"Spoken like a true rich snob," I roll my eyes and he chuckles against my neck. The sound of his laugh causes the tension in the room to dissipate almost instantly.

"So are you gonna tell me what happened," I ask as I wrap my arms around his neck and run a hand through his hair.

Taking another long breath, he finally pulls his head away and his gaze meets mine.

"I just got off a conference call with the Alphas of a few packs. They have decided that the conference this year will be held at the Blood Moon Pack," he informs and I can feel his anger rise again.

"Well can't you ask them to change the venue," I question.

"Apparently Alpha Price requested that it be held there this year. Since they had no reason to decline, they agreed," he growls.

"But didn't you tell them about the attack," I cautiously ask. I know Liam doesn't like it brought up.

"I have no proof that it was him," he says through gritted teeth.

"What about when that asshole tried to kidnap me," I say, shuddering at the thought.

Liam strengthens his hold around me and pulls me even closer. His eyes flash gold for a second but then return to normal.

"They think I should forgive him for his son's mistake and maintain peace," he seethes with anger.

I wrap my arms around him tighter and his head finds it's way into my neck again. I'm sure Liam tried to get them to change their minds, but I can understand their perspective as well. They want things to remain peaceful and it would be rude for them to turn down the Blood Moon Pack's invitation of hospitality, without a good reason.