FIFTY-SIX

"She fell thirty feet. We're lucky it wasn't worse."

"The wound seems to be healing well. It's a good sign."

"Most of the injured warriors are back on their feet."
"What about Jason?"
"He's awake. Maybe a couple more days and he should be out of the hospital too."

"April, please wake up."

"It's been three days, Lucas. She should be up by now."
"What she did that night took a toll on her health. Both physical and mental. Her body needs time to heal. She should be up soon. Don't worry."

"April... April?"

I've been hearing voices in my sleep. But every time I reach forward to grasp them, I drift back into the void. This time is different, though. Liam's voice seems closer. Much more real. Floating away like a string just within reach. Close enough to grip it and and let it pull me out of the darkness.

"Can you hear me?"

I chase the sound. I feel my brain awaken from a deep slumber. Memories begin flashing through my mind. I remember falling. And hitting the ground. But it didn't hurt the way I thought it would. In fact, it didn't hurt at all.

I remember the blood. Splattering around like water leaking from a broken pipe. And then there was silence. Even though the voices had already fizzled out for me by then, I remember being puzzled by the sudden halt of everything. Like someone had frozen the world at that point in time. And then Liam walked towards me, covered in blood.

But it didn't belong to him. No, it was someone else's blood dancing over on River's fur like crimson rain. Liam's wolf was the last thing I saw, before I let the darkness take me. Knowing he would be okay was enough and if this was my end, I was content.

But now, here he was. His beautiful voice just within reach. His delicious scent tantalizing me from not too far away. If only I could get to see his face.

The blazing light makes my eyes flicker under their scrutiny. I blink through the white light, unable to make anything out, until my eyes finally adjust to the brightness.

"Oh, thank you, Moon Goddess," I hear Liam's voice again. But before I can follow it to his face, strong arms wrap around me, lifting me up from from the bed and slamming me into a rock, hard chest.

My head spins at the sudden motion and pain erupts in my shoulder. I groan out in pain, unable to say anything.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," Liam mumbles quick apologies and sets be back down, resting my head on the soft pillow. I notice I'm in my own room and not in the hospital and am glad for it.

Apart from the dark circles under his eyes, Liam looks good. There seem to be no sign of any injury and I inwardly sigh in relief for it.

"You look like shit," I grumble, my voice hoarse from resting.

He laughs, his tense features giving way to crinkles around his eyes.

"You gave us all a bit of a scare," he speaks, solemnly.

"Daxton?" I ask.

"You never have to worry about him again, baby," he reassures me with a kiss on the cheek.

The door swings open and Lucas walks in.

"Well, hello there. I'm assuming everyone is decent?" He muses, a smirk on his face. "I'd hope my brother would be able to keep his hands to himself until we could at least check your vitals."

"Hey, Lucas," I laugh as he walks closer. "I'm feeling pretty good."

"Why don't you let me decide that?"