Chapter 8

Chrono resisted the overwhelming urge to clasp his hands together and pray as they returned home, because the fact they'd hired Izumi couldn't have been a bigger godsend than it was in this moment. Their afternoon was a shit-show, anything that could've gone wrong did go wrong, and as a result Kai was wound tighter than a spring. But the second they walked into the living room the teen welcomed them home from her seat on the nearby couch,asking how work was sweetly - like a doting housewife - and the tension visibly melted from the brunette as though it were never there to begin with.

"Stressful." he summarized as he took in the girl's appearance. The teen had her curly green hair up in a high bun instead of the ponytail she'd had it in when they left, she had Eri's head resting in her lap, and she was taking notes on the hero fight currently airing on the news.

Kai sat down next to her, smiling at his sleepy but not yet asleep daughter as she commented on the hero's poor form sassily. Izumi apparently found her commentary just as amusing, because she added it next to her own notes in red ink.

"What's this, if you don't mind my asking?" Kai questioned. From his standing position behind the couch Hari was equally curious.

It was Eri who answered "Izumi's teaching me to analyze people, she's a good teacher."

Said greenette blushed, rubbing her neck nervously "I'm really not. Eri's just a fast learner."

Chrono smiled. "This is that hobby you mentioned earlier, the one your dad taught you?" he asked, earning a nod from the teen. "Dad used to do this with me all the time when I was little. Watch heroes and villains fight on the news and break them all down. Taking what we could work out of their quirks, fighting style, personality, and anything else of note and writing it down in one of these" she held up the notebook she was using "to be further analyzed later."

Kai held his hand out "May I?"

Izumi closed the book and handed it over, growing increasingly nervous as the man browsed her work.

"You got all this from news footage?" the brunette wondered, his tone pleasantly surprised. Hari moved to read over his boss' shoulder, eyes widening as he did.

"Most of it, yeah. Why?"

The silver-haired man whistled "These are thorough."

"They're impressive is what they are." Kai added as he handed the book back. "You have a gift." A satisfied smile stretched across his face as he took in the girl's rapidly darkening cheeks. "Th-thanks..." she stuttered self-consciously "But these aren't that impressive. My dad's notes are better."

"I look forward to meeting him then."

"What?" Izumi asked, blinking owlishly.

Kai clarified "I said I look forward to meeting him because if your words are anything to go off of, he sounds like a great man... And a genius, because I honestly can't imagine how you can outdo your work."

Deep in his evil lair, for the first time since he'd lost his nose, All for One sneezed.

Back at the yakuza headquarters Izumi quickly changed the subject to avoid fainting from the excess blood flow to her head. "Did you two eat? At work, I mean. Cause I made food... If you're hungry."

'Smooth Izumi. That wasn't obvious in the least. "

Thankfully, Hari had her back. "I could eat. Kai?"

"Dinner sounds lovely." the brunette agreed as her gathered up his sleepy 5 year old from the teen's lap. "I'll be back once i've finished putting this little lady to bed." Adjusting her so her head was pillowed on his shoulder he stood. "Say goodnight Eri."

"'night." the girl yawned.

"Good night Eri. I'll see you tomorrow." Izumi said as she got up to get their food ready, waving as she passed. "Sweet dreams."

Kai could feel his daughter's return wave as he walked. He wasn't sure why, but everything the girls did together seemed so much cuter when it was both of them doing it. As he changed Eri into her nightgown and tucked her in he was struck by how much easier it was now that the elder girl had worn her out. "Good night Eri."

"Dad?"

"Hmm?"

The child's words, while sleepy, were no less meaningful "I like Izumi... Can she stay?"

Stroking the girl's white locked head the man smiled fondly "I like her too... So maybe, one day."

"Mm-kay... Night."

As he got up to leave Kai smiled. Leave it to his daughter to be the first to ask. She's too smart for her own good sometimes. But as the yakuza boss sat down with his assistant and the amazing, wonderful, pure girl he'd met by chance - enjoying the simple but delicious meal she'd made and sharing pleasant conversation - he smiled to himself.

'One of these days, if she'll have me, I'm going to marry this girl.'