Chapter 44

Lyle's POV

"Lyle Gabriel Hattaway, will you marry me?"

My heart stopped for a moment but as soon as it began beating again, I couldn't hear anything aside from it. I couldn't move my body as I stared into those green forest eyes, and it reflected one thing. Love.

I tried to speak but I couldn't get words out of my mouth due to the shock. Saying I was surprised is an understatement, because I remained still and unmoving as I looked at him for I don't know how long.

"Lyle?" He asked nervously and I felt that he was already thinking of the worst case scenario where I would say no. It pulled me out of my thoughts and I immediately composed myself.

"Yes?" I replied to him in an instant and looked into his eyes.

"Yes?" He got confused by the questioning tone in my voice and tried to clear it up.

"You're not sure?" He furrowed his brows at my reply and it only made his heartbeat turn faster.

"What do you mean I'm not sure?" I asked and I cocked my head to side, wondering if he didn't hear what I said.

"You said "Yes?" He repeated and looked at me for a clearer answer.

"Yes, it's because you called me." I told him and he casted his head down to smile. He sighed in relief before looking back up at me.

"No, I asked you if you would marry me." He chuckled while saying it and I was pulled back to the Earth. I suddenly remembered what was happening as of this moment and all the nervousness came back with it.

"Oh. Fuck."

Was the only words I could say.

He looked at me lovingly even though I messed up, and I wanted the earth to just swallow me whole.

I covered my face with my hands due to the embarrassment and I started to tear up. He gently lowered both of my arms with his hand to make me look at him, and I was met with a warm smile.

"I-I'm sorry. I messed it all up." I apologized and lowered my head. Tears started to come out of my eyes and Adrian immediately stood up and took me in his arms.

"Sshhh. Sshh. It's okay." He kissed the top of my head and stroked it as I cried on his chest. I hugged him tight and let the tears of both joy and shame escape.

We stayed like that for a while until my crying stopped, and he raised my chin up with his thumb and index finger to make me look at him.

"It's okay. For you, I can ask it over and over again." He cupped my face with both of his hands and wiped the tears on my cheeks.

I sniffled as I looked up at him and I felt and saw it in his eyes that those words were true.

I wanted to do him right. I wanted to do everything right, so I asked him,

"Can you ask me again, now?" I spoke with conviction and released my hold on him to give space between us.

His eyes widened at what I said, and I smiled when it was my turn to take him by surprise.

"It would be my honor." He grabbed my right hand and placed a kiss on top of it before he took a step back to propose to me again.

He got into position and pulled out the engagement ring out of the box and it was so beautiful. We stared right into each other's eyes and even though we both know what's going to happen, we can't help but be nervous.

"Lyle Gabriel Hattaway, will you spend the rest of your life with me?" He asked and gave me a handsome smile that made my heartbeat turn even faster.