Chapter 32

Lyle's POV

I heard battlecries coming from the outside and I knew that it signaled the start of the fight.

"It's starting." Chelsea said as she sat down outside with her back on the door.

"I can't believe Adrian did this to me." I whispered against my breath, but it was loud enough for Chelsea to hear.

"He knew you would be mad. But he told us that he'll be able to live with you resenting him, than putting you in danger in the fight." Chelsea explained to me and I sat straight to look at her.

"I'm gonna kill him- No. I want him to come back to me alive, then I can kill him." I instantly changed what I was about to say, when the thought of Adrian not coming back to me, crossed my mind.

"Chelsea-"

"I told you Lyle. Even if I wanted to let you out, I can't." She cut me off, knowing what I was about to ask of her.

"I'm willing to fight alongside them until my last breath. At least that way, I can prove my resolve and loyalty. When I think of all the lives that will be lost, I...sometimes think that it's better to give myself up. Being locked up in this cage? It only makes me feel like a burden and a coward." I told her as I hugged my knees to my chest.

"Never. And I mean Never, think that way even for a second. We're doing this for you because we love you. Because we know that you'll do anything to protect the people you care about. The same goes for us Lyle, we'll protect you in our own way." She stated and leaned her head back to the door.

"This is not protecting me, Chelsea. This is hiding me. If you really loved me, you wouldn't go against my choice. All of you took my freedom, and that's what I hate the most." I said with a sad and angry tone. She breathed heavily before replying back.

"Hate us all you want Lyle, but what's done is done." I tried to keep my tears from falling at what she said and focused on the connection between me and my mate.

Adrian...

*****

Adrian's POV

The warriors flanked us on all sides, while fighting off the rogues that tried to block our way. The plan was to divide them as much as possible and then round them up to corner them in one big circle.

The last group of warriors on both our sides, clashed and engaged in a heavy battle. Only Morvhack's group was left and so was ours.

Dad and Derek immediately faced Morvhack and his beta, while me and Bryan were up against his elite guards.

They made the first move and circled us. We faced our backs towards each other and observed them as they prowled, ears upright and lips curled back.

I used the element of surprise and went for the 2 rogues that cornered us. I was able to get a bite out of his leg and a claw to his muzzle. He yelped in pain and quickly jerked backwards.

The other rogue lunged at me but I kicked him back using my hind legs and quickly pounced on top of him. I pinned him using my forepaws and slashed his belly with my claw. Blood gushed out of the wide and open wound, making him whimper in pain.

I could smell his fear as he began to weaken. I was tackled off of him by the other rogue and we wrestled each other to the ground. He clawed the side of my neck and bit my shoulders and my legs.

I whined in pain for a moment before I shifted our position and went for the kill. I bit down on his throat, hard. He thrashed and yelped, and his claws found a spot on my cheek. Blood dripped down from my muzzle, but I clamped my jaws harder, tasting the blood and victory in my mouth.