Naughty Nia

Nia was a new engine on the Island of Sodor. She had travelled with Thomas around the world on his biggest adventure ever. But sadly, her shed had been destroyed back in Africa and she had nowhere to live. But Thomas happily invited her to stay with him on Sodor as one of the Steam Team. 

Nia enjoyed her new life on Sodor, but she did miss her friends in Africa. 

One day, Nia was feeling a little more sad than usual as she thought of her friend, Kwaku, who like her other friends, she never really had a chance to say goodbye to. 

The Fat Controller arrived at Tidmouth Sheds. 

"James, I need you to take Henrietta and Hannah to the Steamworks for repair," he said.

"Yes, sir!" 

"And don't go too fast. We don't want a repeat of what happened to Hannah last time you pulled her!" 

"Um, yes sir." 

James steamed away. 

"Percy, I want you to deliver some special post to the Duke and Duchess of Boxford." 

"Yes, sir," peeped Percy, and he puffed out. 

"And Thomas, I need you to take me to Ffarquahar." 

"Yes, sir!" 

"And Nia, I need you to take some fish trucks to Vicarstown," concluded the Fat Controller. 

"Yes, sir." 

Nia didn't sound very enthusiastic. She was still thinking about Kwaku and her friends in Africa. But she still steamed away. 

As she set off with the smelly fish trucks, Thomas pulled alongside her as he took the Fat Controller to the end of his branch line. 

"Are you alright, Nia? You don't look very happy. Cheer up! It's a lovely sunny day!" 

"It might be a lovely day, Thomas," snapped Nia, "but it would have been even sunnier in Kenya!" 

Thomas was puzzled. 

"Sometimes," she huffed crossly, "I wish I had never pushed you and your trucks up that hill and then I could be back at home singing with Kwaku and the elephants!" 

Thomas felt hurt. 

"I...I didn't..." 

But Nia puffed crossly away. 

She eventually delivered the fish trucks, but she was still no happier. 

And neither was Gordon. 

"Pooh! You just had to bring your smelly trucks here, didn't you?" 

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I did! You do your jobs and leave me alone to do mine, you grouchy old elephant!" 

Gordon was shocked as Nia huffed away. 

(Emily, Edward and Rosie can also be seen there.)

Nia huffed and puffed angrily along the line. 

"That Gordon is so rude," she fumed, "not like Kwaku at all!" 

(She visualises how Kwaku would greet her and ask her how her day is going.) 

Suddenly, she was rudely interrupted by a peeping sound. 

"Look out, Nia!" shouted Percy.

Percy was taking a post truck to the Duke and Duchess' summerhouse. Nia was on the same line and they were on a collision course. 

Nia huffed crossly. Percy's whistle had taken her out of her pleasant memory of her life in Kenya. So she kept going forward and Percy had to quickly divert into a siding. Now he was going to be late! 

"NIA!" he shouted indignantly. 

But Nia was so upset and trying to hide some tears from her eyes that she was becoming less caring and even more careless. 

She sped so fast that she barely noticed the level crossing. Bertie had to quickly reverse out of the way as she slid between the gates. 

"Watch out, Nia!" honked Bertie crossly. 

There was worse to come. 

Nia was sent to collect some pipes from Brendam Docks and when she collected the pipes, she was not thinking about how heavy they were. 

She was still running too fast and too carelessly. 

Then there was trouble. 

Thomas was bringing the Fat Controller back from Ffarquhar when he saw Nia rushing over. 

"Nia, look out for the bend!" he called. 

Nia snorted and ignored Thomas. 

"NIA, NOOOO!" 

But it was too late! 

Nia took the turn too fast and her wheels and the flatbed's wheels began to come off the rails. 

"Oh no! Oh! Oh! OHHH!" 

Nia and the pipes toppled off the rails. 

Thomas and the Fat Controller saw the whole incident and backed up to see the predicament. They were both worried but the Fat Controller was also very cross. 

"Nia, what do you think you were doing?"

"I...I...was going too fast, sir," said Nia meekly. 

"Not only that, Nia," boomed the Fat Controller, "I had received several phone calls about your behaviour today. You made a fuss at Vicarstown, you made Percy late with his important mail and you nearly caused an accident at a level crossing!" 

Nia sighed. She knew that what the Fat Controller had said was true. Now that she had her accident and was in trouble, she had time to think clearly and realize what she had done was wrong. 

"It's true, sir. I'm sorry, sir," she said, "I'm sorry to everyone...it's just that I've been feeling very sad about missing all my friends in Africa. Everything has changed for me...and as much as I understand that even though we're apart, my friends are still my friends...I just can't help but feel lonely without them." 

"I see," said the Fat Controller, "I can appreciate you feeling homesick, Nia, but that is no excuse to rampage around the railway, be rude to your new friends and cause confusion and delay." 

"I know, sir, I'm sorry, sir," repeated Nia. 

Nia was later taken to the Steamworks by Thomas. 

James had returned to return Henrietta and Hannah back to Toby. 

"All done, James," said Victor. 

"And now your turn, Nia," zoomed Kevin. 

"Thank you," said Nia. 

She told the other engines about her sad day. 

"I got like that about my sister," said Henrietta. 

"As did I," added Hannah.

"And I often miss my friends from my country," added Victor. 

"But do you know what makes us all feel better?" asked Thomas. 

"What?" 

"Being Really Useful!" chanted Thomas, James, Victor, Kevin and Henrietta. 

"Going Really Fast!" chanted Hannah. 

(They all look at her annoyed.) 

"Um, yes, Really Useful!" she said sheepishly. 

Everybody laughed, especially Nia.

(The End!)