Number One Diesel

Thomas had travelled all around the world and everybody was delighted about his adventures and he enjoyed telling his friends about them. 

But there was one engine who didn't care to hear about Thomas' big adventures, and that engine was Diesel. 

"He's such a show-off! Going on about China this, Africa that, Australia next!" 

"It was a big achievement though, Diesel," said Daisy admiringly. 

"Oh, yes, Thomas is a very famous engine for his big adventures," added Mavis. 

Diesel growled. 

"Thomas has always been the number one engine," he oiled, "but you just wait, little steamie, for a new revolutionary number one engine is on the way!" 

The Fat Controller was at Knapford telling Thomas about how he had met Ace and of how Ace told him of how Thomas was travelling to China. 

"Luckily, Mr Percival managed to get a message to me before I reached another wild goose-chase!" chuckled the Fat Controller. 

Thomas laughed at that story. 

"It's a great thing to know that one of my steam engines was the first to travel all around the world," said the Fat Controller in a jolly way, "although, it was a bit naughty of you to take my words the way you did about the idea. However, I am very glad you did, Thomas. Another reason as to why you're my number one!" 

Thomas beamed with pride. 

Diesel leered nearby and growled jealously. 

Later, he had a plan. 

"If that stuck-up steamie can be the first steam engine to go around the world, then I shall be the first diesel! I can see it now! My name in lights as I climb the Himalayas mountains, as I sail on a slow boat to China and brave the blizzards of Antarctica!" 

"Uh, Diesel?" 

Diesel was brought back to earth by Paxton. 

"Are you talking to yourself?"

"No, I'm uh...planning something...uh, yes! Big delivery to take to Antarctica!"

"Antarctica?! ...Where's that then?" 

"Far away from here, Paxton," said Diesel mysteriously, "around to the other side of the world!" 

"Oh, wow! You're taking a special delivery all the way around the world?!" 

Diesel liked the attention he was getting from Paxton and kept up his lie. 

"Yes, I'm going to be the first diesel to travel the world, and I will be the Fat Controller's number one diesel engine!" 

Paxton was very excited and that made Diesel excited too. 

Diesel was soon putting his plan into action and began collecting some trucks to take along on his trip. He was so full of his own lie to make himself look good, that he was truly believing in it: he truly did plan to travel the world, just like Thomas!

Paxton puffed into Vicarstown. He had been telling the other diesels about Diesel's triumphant trip. 

Rosie and BoCo were there when he pulled in. 

"Hello, Rosie! Hello, BoCo! Have you heard about Diesel?" 

"No?" answered Rosie, feeling puzzled. 

"He's going to Anti...Anta...Antiqueika." 

"Do you mean Antarctica, Paxton?" asked Rosie. 

"Yes! That's it!"

"Stuff and nonsense!" huffed BoCo. "That country is a frozen land of snow and ice! Diesel wouldn't be able to work very well there." 

"Indeed he wouldn't," said a voice. 

The engines turned to see an unamused Fat Controller. 

"So Diesel thinks he's going abroad?" 

"Yes, sir," said Paxton worriedly, "he said he was going to make a delivery to Antarmacica." 

"I seeee..." 

The Fat Controller was not happy. Diesel was up to his old tricks again. 

Meanwhile, Diesel gathered several trucks, had some workmen cover them with tarpaulins and then he rode away towards the Vicarstown Bridge. 

"He did it, I can do it! He did it, I can Do It!" he oiled determinedly. 

Diesel rolled onwards until he approached the station. 

Thomas was pulling into the station, pulling the local. But as he slowed to a stop, the Fat Controller waved at him. 

"Thomas, Diesel is coming along the line. I need you to block him off. He thinks he's going around the world!" 

"What?" gasped Annie. 

"What a copycat!" retorted Clarabel. 

"I'll stop him, sir," said Thomas. 

Thomas uncoupled from Annie and Clarabel, then he rushed to the bridge to block off Diesel. 

Diesel was honking triumphantly as he crossed the viaduct into the Vicarstown station. 

"Diesel, stop!" shouted the Fat Controller. 

"You can't go!" yelled Paxton and BoCo. 

"....Why not?" asked the grumpy passenger. 

Diesel ignored them all. He was too full of the idea of being the number one diesel who travelled around the world. 

"DIESEL!" 

Thomas was on Diesel's track, blocking his way across the bridge. 

"OH NO!" 

Diesel had to apply his brakes but it was too late. 

He bumped into Thomas and the number one tank engine was bumped into the barrier which broke and slipped into the lifting gear. The bridge was jammed!

The Fat Controller came rushing to the scene. He was furious! 

"Diesel, look at what you have done! The bridge now needs to be repaired! Nobody can come and go by rail to the Mainland, and ships can't travel through! You have caused confusion and delay! A lot of it!" 

"I'm...sorry, sir," moaned Diesel. 

"And what did you think you were doing? Gallivanting off to the cold snowy glaciers? You are an engine on my railway! You will stay where you are supposed to be!" 

"I...I just...wanted to be the first diesel to travel all around the world, sir," sighed Diesel sadly, "I wanted to do what Thomas did and be number one for once." 

The Fat Controller softened. 

"You don't have to travel the world to be number one. You may not be my number one engine, but you ARE the first diesel engine on my railway! You are in fact, my Number One Diesel!" 

Diesel smiled, feeling so proud. 

To make amends, Diesel worked hard for the rest of the day. He took Thomas to the Steamworks. Then he took some workmen to repair the bridge. 

And finally, he brought Annie and Clarabel back to the shunting yards. 

The Fat Controller smiled. 

"That's much better, Diesel. You are once again, on my railway no less, a Really Useful Engine!" 

Diesel smiled. It was a great thing to be the Number One Diesel Engine! 

(The End!)