Delay and Confusion

The Island of Sodor has several controllers on several railways. 

There is, of course, the Fat Controller himself, who runs the North Western Railway and all of its engines. 

(He is seen with Edward and several passengers. Albert can be seen too.)

Then there is the Small Controller who runs the Arlesdale Miniature Railway. 

(He is seen watching Rex, Bert and Mike working at the junction.) 

And also there is the Thin Controller. He is in charge of the Narrow Gauge Railway where the Narrow Gauge Engines take passengers and do quarry work. 

(He is seen overseeing Rheneas and Skarloey doing work at the Blue Mountain Quarry.)

One time, Mr Percival had been left to run the North Western Railway in the Fat Controller's absence when he and Thomas went around the world. He found the work of running two railways very difficult. 

So he was very relieved when the Fat Controller eventually returned to Sodor, so he could go back to working with the Narrow Gauge Engines. 

(He is seen greeting the Fat Controller at Brendam Docks.) 

One day, the Thin Controller took a telephone call. 

"Hello?" 

"Ah, Mr Percival, hello! I was hoping you could do me a favour," said the Fat Controller. 

"Yes, sir, what would you like for me to do for you?" 

"I need to go and visit my mother back on the Mainland. She's taken ill. I was hoping you could take charge of the North Western Railway while I'm gone." 

Mr Percival gulped, but smiled, cleared his throat and said: 

"Of course, Sir Topham! I shall ride down in all haste!" 

"Thank you, Mr Percival!" 

The two controllers hung up their phones and Mr Percival informed his family of where he was going. 

He cycled away to travel to Knapford Station. 

Mr Percival soon arrived at Knapford and found the Fat Controller had gathered a lot of his engines to explain what would be happening. 

"I need you all to work your hardest and do your very best for Mr Percival while I'm away," he said. 

"Yes, sir," said Thomas. 

"Of course," said Nia and Rebecca in unison. 

"Thank you," said Mr Percival, "now you all go off to your old jobs and keep me updated of any delay and confusion." 

The engines all looked at each other. The term to them was normally known as confusion and delay, but the Thin Controller liked swapping the words. 

"Delay?" chuckled James. 

"And confusion?" Percy said stifling a giggle. 

Henry was to take the Fat Controller to the Mainland. 

"Full steam ahead, Henry!" ordered the Fat Controller. 

"Yes, sir!" 

"Good luck, sir," hooted Emily. 

The Thin Controller waved the head of the railway off, but he couldn't help but worry. He was not used to running as large a railway as the North Western. 

"Hmm, oh dear," he murmured, before hastily entering the office. 

Toby noticed this. 

"I wonder if Mr Percival is okay," he wondered. 

Toby took some workmen to do some maintenance work at Wellsworth. Edward was there to show the workmen where to start. 

Toby wanted to ask Edward if he thought the Thin Controller could manage the railway, but he was too busy. 

Toby decided to ask somebody else for advice. 

But the Thin Controller was having problems. He received a phone call that said that Salty had broken down at the Docks. 

"Oh, um, this wasn't planned," he muttered, "well, um, tell Porter to take Salty to the Dieselworks. What's that? Who will work at the Docks? Um, hold on..." 

He checked the timetable. 

"I'll send Diesel and Whiff," he said, hanging up the phone, feeling stressed. 

"Phew! I don't know how to handle breakdowns and being an engine short. My railway is not as expansive as Sir Topham's." 

But Mr Percival was soon to realize that he had made a big mistake. 

Porter shunted Salty to the Dieselworks. 

"I hope they find some worthy seadogs to do our work, matey," said Salty. 

"I can only hope so, Salty," replied Porter. 

But Whiff had his work cut out for him. 

While he tried to do the work he was sent to do, which he wasn't used to doing, Diesel was being rough with the trucks and rude to the engines. 

"Hahahaha! Here are your trucks, Nia!" 

He banged them into Nia's back end. 

"Oooh, Diesel! So rude!" 

Diesel just laughed. 

(Cranky, Carly and Big Mickey exchange exasperated glances.) 

And things were no better at the Waste Dump. 

Toby was taking the workmen's building waste there and he saw lines of trucks were scattered everywhere. Scruff was out taking scrap and Whiff was at the Docks. 

"Gosh! I must tell the Thin Controller!" gasped Toby. 

But the Thin Controller was already aware of the delay and confusion. He ran out of the office as Toby arrived. 

"Oh no! Oh, dear! Oh, Toby! I've had so many calls! Diesel is bashing the engines and causing pile-ups at the Docks! The Waste Dump is full and without any engines and several deliveries have been damaged by Diesel's carelessness! I can't fix this!" 

"Yes, you can, sir!" said Toby firmly. "You just need some help!" 

The Thin Controller calmed down and listened to Toby. 

Toby thought of some solutions from his own experiences on the railways. He got the Thin Controller to send Diesel away and send a diesel who wasn't busy. 

The men at the Dieselworks sent not just one but two diesels: Dennis and Norman! 

The Docks were in full swing again, and then Toby advised the Thin Controller to send Whiff back to the Dump. Toby himself would then help Whiff to put things back on schedule. 

With Toby's help, by the end of the day, the day's work was done without any further mishaps from the Thin Controller. 

The Fat Controller returned from the Mainland in the Flying Scotsman's train. 

"Here you are, sir. Right on time," said Flying Scotsman boisterously. 

"Thank you," said the Fat Controller. 

He telephoned the Thin Controller. 

"How has the day gone with you in charge, Mr Percival?" 

Mr Percival winked and gave a delighted Toby a thumbs-up from the window. 

"Just fine, Sir Topham. No delay or confusion!" 

(He winks to the reader too.) 

(The End!)