Artistic Ashima

Thomas was working in India. He enjoyed working there on his adventures around the world because he had a few familiar friends there to keep him company. One in particular was his friend, Ashima, whom he had met on Sodor on her way to the Great Railway Show. 

Ashima was a very beautiful engine and she and Thomas were both excellent shunters. Today, they were shunting together with Shankar. 

"You two make me feel positively outranked when it comes to shunting," said Shankar. 

"We did both win the Shunting Challenge at the Railway Show after all," pointed out Thomas. 

"Though Thomas would have won single-handedly if he hadn't been so kind as to make sure I didn't get a blocked track," said Ashima modestly. 

"Well, I won single-handedly at that Show too," bragged Rajiv as he rode in. 

"We know, Rajiv, we know," said Thomas and Ashima with innocent voices. 

"Only too well," muttered Shankar. 

"Is Rajiv showing off again?" said a voice. 

It was Charubala. 

"Not at all, Miss Charubala, ma'am," said Rajiv hastily. 

"Hmm, well, I'm here to tell you all of an art show being held at the Big Station tomorrow. I expect you will all be busy bringing passengers to see the show. Thomas, I would like you to help with the passengers too, please." 

"Yes, ma'am," replied Thomas keenly. 

The passengers came during that day. Noor Jehan and Rajiv were highly excitable about seeing any famous artists around. 

(Thomas sees the artist who painted Percy as the Spirit of Sodor.) 

Thomas and Ashima were pulling coaches too, whilst Shankar was shunting the coaches into place on the platforms, as well as keeping trucks away from the travel routes. 

Ashima spotted one person looking puzzled on the platform. It was a young man who was holding some paintbrushes and an easel. He wasn't dressed like an artist, but Ashima was now curious. 

"Hello, sir," she greeted politely, "are you lost?" 

The man turned around. 

"Not at all, thank you," he said, "I'm trying to decide what to paint to present to the show tomorrow." 

Ashima was surprised. 

"You want to paint a picture just before the art show?" 

"I have had no inspiration for a picture," complained the man. 

"What's...inspiration?" asked Ashima. 

"Ah, inspiration is what makes someone do something artistic," explained the man, "it is what gives artists their ideas! For instance, a trip across the Indian Railway could inspire a painting of you, lovely lady engine, as you cruise along the jungles and countryside views, passing the monkeys as they swing in the trees, making the elephants trumpet their trunks as you blow your whistle..." 

Ashima pictured what the artist was saying. She thought it sounded beautiful. 

"Perhaps I can show you around the Railway for inspiration, Mr...er..." 

"Haha! My name is Rajesh, and you are?" 

"Ashima." 

"Well, Ashima, I would appreciate that ride very much!" 

With Charubala's consent, Ashima took a break to show Rajesh around her railway for inspiration for a painting. 

Ashima showed him the muddy rails where the elephants came and went. 

There were several elephants there and one in particular came to greet her: Trusty Trunky. 

"Hello, dear friend," said Ashima cheerfully. 

Trusty Trunky dabbed her face in a friendly way with her trunk. 

"What a beautiful, peaceful creature!" gasped Rajesh. 

"And very strong and reliable," added Ashima, "she can push an engine back onto the rails!" 

"Incredible!" 

Soon, Ashima and Rajesh went on their way again. 

They arrived at the monkey palace. Rajesh had never seen anything quite like it. But-

(A monkey snatches his paintbrushes.) 

"Oi! Return those at once!" 

After a strong whistle from Ashima, the monkey dropped Rajesh's brushes and took to the trees. 

"They certainly are full of the life a painting should portray, Ashima," he remarked, "but I don't think they would keep still or out of trouble long enough for me to paint them and their home!" 

Ashima giggled. 

At last, Ashima went all around the railway and showed Rajesh her own sheds she shared with her friends and the shunting yard. 

Thomas was there having a quick rest on his break. 

"Hello, Ashima," said Thomas, "Rajiv is boasting to anyone at the station who will listen about his victory at the Railway Show!" 

"You don't hear us boasting of our win," said Ashima. 

"OF COURSE!" 

Thomas and Ashima looked at the very excited Rajesh, who was looking at both of them with joy. 

"I knew I had seen you somewhere before, Ashima," he cried excitedly, "and now that I have seen this blue engine, I finally remember where! You two were the winners of the Shunting Challenge in the United Kingdom's Great Railway Show!" 

Thomas and Ashima were surprised. 

"This is the painting I have always wanted to create," cried Rajesh, "I must do it by recreation now! Please show me the Spirit of Sportmanship! Please let me paint you both, shunting trucks!" 

Thomas and Ashima were delighted. 

With Charubala's consent, Rajesh painted Ashima and Thomas as they shunted trucks in the yard. 

Rajiv and Noor Jehan were more than happy to carry more passengers as it made them feel more useful. 

Shankar wisely went away for some peace and quiet once he had finished shunting. 

At last, the painting was finished, just in time for the art show the following morning. 

Ashima slept soundly and when day came, she was very keen to see how the public would respond to Rajesh's painting. 

"I can't wait to see what it looks like," said Thomas. 

"Nor me," beamed Ashima. 

The art show was an amazing success, and when Rajesh's exhibit was due, he happily unveiled his Spirit of Sportmanship: the painting of Thomas and Ashima achieving mutual victory. 

"It looks so real," gasped Thomas. 

"I am most indebted to you, Ashima and Thomas," said Rajesh thankfully as he listened to the applause of the audience. 

Ashima felt the proudest of all! 

(The End!)