Oliver on the Viaduct

Oliver the Great Western Engine works hard on the Little Western branch line alongside Duck and his brake van, Toad. He can sometimes be boastful about his adventures from before he came to Sodor, but he is also Really Useful and very loyal to his friends. 

One day, Oliver and Toad were chuffing along the Little Western when the Fat Controller came to see them. 

"Today, I want you two to take some trucks of bricks to Great Waterton. You may use the Main Line to get there as quickly as possible." 

"Yes, sir," said Oliver and Toad in unison. 

Oliver shunted the trucks needed for the trip to Great Waterton. 

"I need to go on the Main Line to get there," boasted Oliver to Duck. 

"Hmm, well, be careful," said Duck, "that line is big and can hold some dangers for a tank engine." 

"I escaped scrapyards and tamed trucks," said Oliver confidently, "I'm sure I can manage one trip along the Main Line." 

Duck personally felt that Oliver was being boastful and over-confident, but said nothing as his friend pulled away with the trucks and Toad. 

"Are you sure this will be a safe journey, Mr Oliver?" asked Toad. 

"Of course, Toad! Why wouldn't it be?" 

Toad wasn't sure. 

Before heading out onto the Main Line, Oliver collected some coal at the depot. Percy just arrived looking worried. 

(Toby and Edward can be seen taking on coal too. Nia is shunting.) 

"I heard from the Fat Controller that the viaduct might need some repairs soon," he peeped nervously. 

"What's to be so worried about?" asked Oliver. 

"The last time that viaduct needed strengthening, it caused a lot of confusion and delay. Many trains on both the main line and the branch lines were late!" 

Oliver didn't seem worried at all. He was just keen to start his journey. 

Soon, Oliver and Toad were puffing speedily and stealthily on their way along the Main Line. 

Oliver felt very important as he sped along, passing other engines who were surprised to see him away from the Little Western with trucks so close to the Express line. 

(Henry and Gordon are among these engines.) 

Soon, they passed through Maron Station and were heading towards the viaduct. But there was terrible trouble and danger ahead of them. 

As they were heading for the huge bridge, the crumbling arch in the middle was worsening and the keystones dislodged and plunged into the rapids below. 

Without the keystones, the viaduct was beginning to break up and crumble, and Oliver and Toad were unaware of the danger! 

Oliver began to puff across the viaduct, but then it happened! 

Oliver's weight worsened the damage and the cracks began to increase and buckle the tracks. With a great bump, Toad and the truck in front of him bashed and came off the track, forcing Oliver to stop. 

"Toad, are you alright?" called Oliver. 

"Yes, Mr Oliver, what's happened?" 

"I don't know." 

"Oh, my!" gasped Toad in horror. 

"What's wrong, Toad?" 

"The viaduct is broken! I'm stuck on a crack! It'll collapse beneath me!" 

"Oh, no!!!" 

Harold the Helicopter was flying on his rounds across the Island and saw what was happening. His pilot saw what was going on too. 

He radioed the Search and Rescue Centre. 

"Mayday, mayday, train stuck on broken viaduct!" 

The rescue team didn't know what to do themselves. Butch and Captain couldn't reach Oliver and Toad, Harold wouldn't be able to lift them away and Rocky's weight would likely cause the viaduct to collapse beneath all of them! 

James was called to rescue them with chains. 

Oliver was still on the rails and his Driver wanted to uncouple him from Toad and the trucks to get away to safety. 

"I am not leaving Toad!" insisted Oliver bravely. 

"But, Mr Oliver," protested Toad, "you'll fall too if you stay on the viaduct!" 

"I will not let you fall off alone, Toad!" 

Toad was very touched, but then they heard a whistle and Harold flew over to signal that help was on the way. 

James arrived. His Driver and Fireman attached chains and cables between him and Oliver. Another chain was attached to Harold so he could try to lift Toad and his truck back onto the line without putting any extra weight on the breaking viaduct. 

Harold took a lot of strain and was slowly able to lift both Toad and the truck back onto the line. James was to pull Oliver across as the sound of his engine and the vibrations of his pistons and wheels could weaken the viaduct even more. 

James heaved and hauled as hard as he could! 

Then there was more trouble. The coupling between the once derailed truck and the one before it snapped as they neared the end of the viaduct. 

"Oh no!" cried Toad. 

"NO!" cried Oliver. 

Just then, Belle arrived and quickly changed onto the same track once Oliver and James were clear. She rushed up to Toad and his truck and pulled them to safety too. 

Everyone was relieved and joyous that Oliver and Toad were safe. And it was just in time! 

The viaduct groaned as the bricks crumbled in the centre and plunged into the water. 

The Fat Controller surveyed the damage and announced the Main Line closed until the damage to the viaduct was repaired. 

"Well done, everyone!" he said. 

Then he turned to Oliver. 

"I'm especially proud of you, Oliver! You showed great courage and determination when Toad got stuck! You are a Really Useful and Really Courageous Engine!" 

Oliver was delighted. 

When he and Toad were eventually able to go home to the Little Western, Oliver couldn't stop talking in a slightly boastful way about his new adventure on the viaduct on the Main Line. 

Duck and Toad did find him boastful, but were never sick of hearing him talk about it. After all, Oliver was indeed a hero that fateful day! 

(The End!)