Salty at the Smelters

The Smelter's Yard is not the most pleasant place to work on the Island of Sodor. 'Arry and Bert work there and they are not the most pleasant diesels working on the Island either. Most engines, particularly steam engines are afraid to go to the Smelter's Yard. This is mostly because the twin diesels like to scare and tease them with scrap when they go there. Most engines prefer their own jobs, whether they are on the Express Line, by the sea or in the countryside. 

(Gordon and Alice can be seen on the Express line, Oliver, Toad, Skiff and Captain Joe can be seen at Arlesburgh Harbour and Thomas, Annie and Clarabel can be seen in the countryside on his branch line.)

One day, Salty was at Brendam Docks, shunting as usual, when he saw Porter puff in with the Fat Controller. 

(Cranky, Carly and Big Mickey can be seen.)

"Salty, I have a special job for you," he said. 

"Ah, yes sir. I'm always ready for a special!" replied Salty cheerily. 

"Nia has broken down and needs to go to the Steamworks," said the Fat Controller, "she was supposed to go to the Smelter's Yard with some heavy trucks of scrap that Reg cannot take apart. I need you to take her place with this job, please." 

"Aye, sir," said Salty worriedly, "but how will Porter manage alone?" 

"He has a helper," said a voice. 

Thomas puffed in looking excited to be shunting at the Docks for the day. 

"Ah, then the Dockyards are in the best of wheels, me hearty!" said Salty happily. 

Soon, Salty was collecting Nia's trucks and then he oiled away to the Smelter's Yard. 

(He passes through Knapford on his route, and Samson, Bradford and Sidney can be seen there along with the Puppet Show Lady and the Bird Watcher.) 

"Ahoy, heavy train coming through!" said Salty as he went along. 

Salty did notice, however, that the trucks of heavy scrap metal were very heavy. He wasn't used to pulling heavy loads across far distances. He often shunted heavy trucks but they were only shunted around the Docks. He was feeling worn out already. 

"Having trouble, Salty?" asked the signalman up ahead. 

"Not at all, me hearty!" panted Salty. 

But the other engines he passed didn't agree. 

Percy and Toby saw that Salty looked very red in the face. 

"Are you alright, Salty?" asked Percy. 

"Of course, of course!" wheezed Salty. 

"I hope so," added Toby nervously. 

Salty was getting more and more worn out as he heaved the scrap trucks along the line and he was putting so much energy into it without taking a rest or asking for help, that his engine was starting to get hot as he dragged on. 

Emily looked worried as she passed too. 

"Salty, maybe you should go to the Dieselworks. You look like you're going to overheat!" 

This made Salty cross. 

"I may be an old seadog but I ain't no pushover for some pesky landlover trucks!" 

Soon, Salty arrived at last at the Smelter's Yard, but when he did, there was no sign of 'Arry and Bert. 

"Arr, couldn't even be bothered to take my burden," grumbled Salty as he hauled the trucks in. 

Then there was trouble. 

Salty's engine was beginning to exude black smoke and then he juddered to a stop. Salty had overheated! 

"Oh no! I'm shanghaied and marooned away from me beloved sea!" cried Salty. 

Salty waited for 'Arry and Bert to come and find him and rescue him. 

But then he had a worrying thought. 

"The engines don't like working here! Maybe 'Arry and Bert have left! Maybe I'll be left all alone and be scrapped along with the junk in my trucks!" 

Salty hated that thought and because he was broken down, he felt sure that he will be scrapped even if 'Arry and Bert did come and find him. 

Then he heard two horns. 

It was 'Arry and Bert. 

They had been bringing some empty trucks to the sidings. 

"What brings you 'ere, Salts?" asked 'Arry. 

"Away from the sea?" added Bert. 

"I had to bring y'all some scrap metal, but I overheated. Seems I need more exercise...that is, if you're NOT dumping me with the scrap," said Salty sadly. 

"We would never scrap you, Salty," said 'Arry. 

"Besides, Den and Dart could fix an overheated engine anytime!" said Bert. 

Salty was relieved. 

Soon, the two diesels took away Salty's trucks and then they shunted Salty himself to the Dieselworks to have his engine repaired. 

(Sidney can be seen there.) 

As he waited to be repaired, the Fat Controller arrived. 

(Henry brought him.) 

"Salty, are you alright?" he asked. 

"Arr, yes sir, just overdid it, that's all," said Salty, sounding much more cheerful. 

"I apologise, Salty," said the Fat Controller, "I should have given you a back engine, but we were a bit low on available engines." 

"Arr, no bother, sir," replied Salty, "I just needs some exercise. We dockyard diesels needs to be strong and tough to be Really Useful!" 

"Just don't overdo it in future, Salty," concluded the Fat Controller, "if you ever need help from now on, just ask." 

Salty smiled as the Fat Controller left. 

The next day, Salty was back at work at the Docks. Everyone was happy to see him back. 

(Donald and Douglas whistle for him, as do Porter and Thomas.) 

Salty was very happy to be back where he belonged, but from that day on, at least once a week, he would pull trucks from the Docks to their destination to give his wheels and his engine some more strength. 

(He's now riding through the countryside.) 

"It may not be the sea, but I will soon be as strong as the waves themselves! Har, har!" he said happily. 

(The End!)