The Express Lives On

(Based on an idea by serena-harper)

Gordon had been feeling sad ever since he had remembered his old friend, Alice, who had been sent for scrap before he came to the Island of Sodor.  

(Emily and Percy can be seen looking sorry for him in Tidmouth Sheds.) 

But he was not the only one. 

The Fat Controller's grandchildren, Stephen and Bridget couldn't stop thinking about Alice's sad story. 

"I wish Alice wasn't scrapped," moaned Stephen. 

"It's such a shame, " added Bridget sadly. 

"I know how you feel, you two," said Lady Hatt, "isn't it a pity, Topham?" 

"Yes, it is," said the Fat Controller, "but I want to look into the matter a bit more, which is why I'm going to the Mainland." 

His family were surprised.

The next morning, he went to see Thomas. 

"Thomas, couple up with a special coach! I want you to take me to the Mainland and we're going to visit the scrapyard near where you met those Experimental Engines!" 

"W-why, sir?" asked Thomas nervously. "I'm not being scrapped, am I?" 

"Certainly not, but I have some business there, and it's near where Gordon used to run Expresses." 

Thomas was puzzled but agreed. 

He collected the special coach from a siding at the Docks. 

(He passes Salty, Porter, Cranky, Carly and Big Mickey.) 

Then he collected the Fat Controller from Knapford to take him all the way to the Mainland. 

"Good luck, Grandfather!" called Stephen and Bridget together. 

(Farmer Trotter, the Teacher and the Bird Watcher can be seen on the platform too, Lady Hatt is also with Stephen and Bridget, waving her husband off.) 

"Full steam ahead, Thomas!" called the Fat Controller. 

"Yes, sir!" 

And at last, they were on their way! 

Thomas puffed across the Island and soon was crossing over the Vicarstown Bridge to the Mainland. 

He passed many familiar places and took a different track to avoid being seen by the overzealous Beresford. 

Thomas had been told by the Fat Controller that the scrapyard he wished to visit was not far from the Steelworks, so he travelled there. 

(Theo, Lexi and Merlin can be seen working around the Steelworks.) 

Hurricane and Frankie were just about to go to Bridlington Goods Yard with some heavy steel trucks when Thomas whistled in. 

"Thomas!" called Hurricane. 

"It's so good to see you again!" hooted Frankie. 

"Hello, you two," whistled Thomas, "we're trying to find a scrapyard near here. Do you know where it is?" 

"The nearest scrapyard around here is about a hundred miles away," said Hurricane puzzledly. 

"Really?" said the Fat Controller. "I was under the impression that a scrapyard was situated much closer to these Steelworks." 

"Well, sir, there IS a scrapyard a few miles straight on," said Frankie, "but it's been closed down for years!" 

"Oh, that is a shame," said the Fat Controller, "but it seems even more of a shame to have come all this way for no reason. We may as well inspect the place. Carry on, please, Thomas!"