Duck in Trouble

It was summer on the Island of Sodor. Holidaymakers were everywhere where there were beaches. They went to Norramby Beach, to Bluff's Cove, to Harwick and to Arlesburgh Harbour. 

(Thomas can be seen taking passengers to Norramby Beach with Annie and Clarabel. Daisy can be seen at Harwick with Dexter. And Duck can be seen at Bluff's Cove.) 

On one such sunny day, Percy was sent to Arlesburgh to work with Duck with the heavy passenger traffic. Percy hadn't worked with Duck for a long time and was looking forward to it. 

"I do enjoy working with Thomas," he said to himself, "but I also enjoyed my times here with Duck. And he'll be excited too. After all, the Regatta is on again this week!" 

Percy was right. 

Duck was talking of the Regatta to anybody who would listen. 

(He is seen talking to Rex, Mike and Bert.) 

And when he met up with Percy at the platform of the station, he reminisced to him about the time he helped rescue a man who injured his hand. 

"You never stopped talking about travelling overseas," said Percy, "it's a pity that you couldn't go with Thomas around the world, Duck!" 

"Oh, I don't mind, Percy," replied Duck, "my world is content as it is right here on my branch line. I learned that long ago!" 

Percy smiled and the two engines set off on their separate routes. 

People were coming to and from the Regatta at the harbour. Even James had to take some passengers to join the line. 

"People really enjoy boating," said Percy. 

"Pah! Rails are better than boats," said James snootily, "after all, boats are bumpy on the waves and our rails are smooth and sleek." 

Meanwhile, Duck was taking some passengers from Tidmouth to take them to join the Regatta. He needed to take on water, but someone had other ideas. 

When Duck joined the queue to take on water, the grumpy passenger was not happy. 

"Will you get on? I'll miss the race I placed my money on!" 

Duck knew he needed water, but he also was keen to see the races of the boats and yachts. 

"Don't forget, Duck," said Edward, "the Great Western Way, not the wrong way." 

"You're right, Edward," replied Duck. 

"All yours, Edward," whistled Emily as she steamed away. 

Duck waited patiently for Edward to fill up, as did most of the passengers, but the grumpy one was getting more and more cross. 

"GET GOING! OR I SHALL COMPLAIN TO SIR TOPHAM!" 

Duck knew he needed water, but the grumpy passenger made him worry that his waiting would get him into trouble with the Fat Controller. 

"All yours, Duck!" whistled Edward. 

Duck hastily went up to the water tower. His Fireman began to pour the water in. 

"This really is the LIMIT!" fumed the grumpy passenger. "At the Harbour, I'm calling Sir Topham Hatt personally to complain!" 

"Be quiet!" snapped the other passengers. 

But Duck heard the passenger and he was now very worried. So worried, that he quickly steamed off without his Fireman, who jumped clear and without filling up with enough water. 

"HEY! STOP!" shouted the Fireman. 

But Duck was in too much of a hurry and didn't hear him. 

Duck was well on his way now, but he soon realized that his boiler was running dry and he was going more slowly without his Fireman there to help his Driver. 

Because of this, the Grumpy Passenger was still complaining! 

"Oh, what a useless railway! What a useless engine!" 

Duck felt insulted but did his best to keep puffing. But once he arrived at Arlesburgh Junction, he knew he couldn't go any further and he came to a stop. 

"Oh no," he moaned, "now I really am in trouble!" 

Percy was bringing some passengers away from the Harbour when he passed the junction and saw Duck's Driver waving a red flag. 

Percy saw that Duck and his unhappy passengers were stranded. 

"What happened, Duck?" 

Duck explained everything. Everyone leered at the Grumpy Passenger. Just then, the Fat Controller drove up in Winston, with Duck's Fireman. 

"OOF!" they groaned. 

"Duck, I hear you left your Fireman behind in a hurry because you let a passenger rush you at the water tower!" boomed the Fat Controller. 

"Yes, sir, it's true," said Duck sadly. 

"Duck, you should have ignored the passenger." 

"He said he was going to complain to you, sir," said Duck piteously, "I didn't want to get into trouble." 

"Well, because you did things the wrong way this time, instead of your Great Western Way, you are in even more trouble, because now you're even more late!" 

"I know, sir, I'm sorry, sir." 

But Duck wasn't nearly as sorry as the Grumpy Passenger. Everybody mostly blamed him for the incident and he sat back and remained unusually silent...after the Fat Controller in particular complained to him about causing confusion and delay on his railway. 

Percy kindly pushed Duck to a water tower, and this time, Duck waited to be filled up properly. 

Then at last, Duck finished his journey and took the eager passengers to the Regatta. 

That evening, Percy and Duck stayed by the quay near the pirate ship. 

(Skiff can be seen there, sleeping.)

"It's wonderful to be working with you again, Duck," said Percy. 

"And a good thing too," agreed Duck, "my passengers may have missed the racing if it wasn't for your help!" 

Duck and Percy smiled. 

When the Regatta finished, Duck and Percy had to go their separate ways once more, but they both knew that they worked well as a team. And the Fat Controller saw that over the events of the Regatta. They both felt sure that they would soon work together again, one day! 

They're 2, they're 4, they're 6, they're 8, they're 10! 
Shunting trucks with Duck, Rosie, Bill and Ben! 
All the colours of the rainbow, 
Thomas and his friends all say hello!
All with different roles to play, 
Round Tidmouth Sheds or far away, 
Down hills, round bends on their ventures, 
Thomas & Friends: Big World, Big Adventures!

Thomas, he's the cheeky one! 
Rebecca, she's new and lots of fun! 
Percy, pulls the mail on time! 
Gordon, thunders down the line! 
Emily, really knows her stuff! 
James, is always showing off! 
Henry, he pulls the heavy loads, 
Edward, his kindness forever grows, 
Nia, wants to help and share, 
Toby, well let's say, he's square!

They're 2, they're 4, they're 6, they're 8, they're 10!
Shunting trucks with Duck, Rosie, Bill and Ben!
All the colours of the rainbow,
Thomas and his friends all say hello!
All with different roles to play,
Round Tidmouth Sheds or far away,
Down hills, round bends on their ventures,
Thomas & Friends: Big World, Big Adventures!!!

(The End of Series 6! Series 7 coming soon!)