If You Love Me, Don't Let Go || 24

Sanem's Point of View

The records at the courthouse hadn't revealed much. The address of the woman who had filed the bogus charges against Can was named in the motion filed with the clerk of courts but her address had been redacted. The name wasn't unique but there were just a few listed Sarah Demirs on social media in the age range of the woman I had seen at least a couple of times. From there I was able to sort out two possibilities, one of which had moved out of the city a year earlier. The neighbors weren't exactly forthcoming with anything useful information when I went to the apartment building I found accidentally tagged on an old Facebook post.

Speaking of Facebook, what I found when I dug through the girls social media pages surprised me. I didn't see the woman who was bent on destroying my family but rather a modest woman in what looked like her early twenties. The woman in the profile was studying to be an LPN and loved astrology and dreamed of traveling. I felt sick like someone had punched me in the gut as I realized things she and Can had in common. There were pictures with friends hanging out but Sarah was kind of the wallflower of her group, the sober one who looked out for everyone. At least that's what I gathered from the live clips that had been posted within the past week. More confused than ever, I tried calling the number I saw on the Facebook profile but it was out of the service. The girl I saw in the pictures was nothing like the woman I saw at the courthouse and that night at the movies. It's hard to explain but the woman in the pictures was not polished, nor was she sophisticated looking. It was like looking at an entirely different person. I was more intrigued than ever now and I had to find her.

With a white-knuckled grip on my steering wheel, I navigated the streets of Istanbul, on a mission

With a white-knuckled grip on my steering wheel, I navigated the streets of Istanbul, on a mission. I circled the Blue Mosque in Istanbul Fatih, just a few blocks from the woman's apartment thinking about what to do. I'd heard stories about the debauchery that happened in the streets of the place the locals called Cukur. This part of the city had always been forbidden because of the rampant crime and rumored mafia wars, and the shootouts that happened in broad daylight according to stories I'd seen on the news. I was terrified yet driven at the same time. I knew in the pit of my stomach this wasn't the place for me but I had to know...what in the world was my husband hiding? Whatever it was, it was clear the answer was in Cukur. Things weren't adding up. That is, how and why would a woman from a place like this have such intimate access with my husband. Can may not have raped this woman but I'm not naive..there was something between them and the feeling in my gut told me that finding this woman would reveal the answers I sought.

Just as I pulled into the deprived neighborhood, my iphone buzzed and the screen lit up to reveal that Yigit was calling. I'd been putting him off since the other night so I had to answer. "Merhaba, Yigit."

"Sanem...is everything okay? I noticed you didn't reply to any of the messages I sent. I was hoping You'd accompany me to the luncheon in Izmir I told you about. With that publisher from New York?"