If You Love Me, Don't Let Go (6)

A/N:  Thank you SO MUCH for the outpouring of love in the comments

A/N:  Thank you SO MUCH for the outpouring of love in the comments. I love you all.

RECAP:  When Sanem rejects his invitation to meet up and talk things out, he leaves New York and reaches out to his father and visits him in  San Diego, where he is secretly being treated for Cancer.

Can's POV.  San Diego.

"Thanks for picking me up, dad. I could have taken an Uber, made it easier on you?" He said, looking at a frail version of his father, concern likely etched in his features as he looked him over.

"Bah, it's nothing. I needed to get out anyway. Enough about me. Are you okay, son?"

Can sighed and ran a hand through his beard, haphazardly. "Will be. I have no choice but to be okay. For whatever reason, Sanem made her choice it seems..." Can gritted his teeth and in a flash his mind's eye caught of glimpse of bitter memories of when there was a semblance of happiness and peace in his life. Happier times with Sanem seemed so distant. If felt like there were a million miles between them and no way back to one another.

"It seems? Son, you sound like you're unsure. Maybe you should have waited, given Sanem more time before running away with your tail between your legs ...look, I know this isn't what you want to hear right now, but you're at fault here. You dishonored your word to Sanem, degraded your commitment. And with Polen? Tsk," he admonished, shaking his head. "The girl has every right to be skeptical. A text message? Really? That's the best you could do?"

"Baba, if she doesn't want to try, give me this chance...I'm not sure waiting around only to be disappointed was the best thing to do. And I know...I feel like an absolute coward but I couldn't bring myself to call her, hear the disappointment and hurt in her voice again. It doesn't make sense, I know but that's how I felt at the time..."

Aziz quietly placed his hand on tops of Can's and something about the fatherly touch pulled him out of the dark spiral of depression he felt himself slipping into. He took three deep breaths as his gaze flickered from his father's profile back to the road ahead and he tried to leave the disappointment of New York at the back of his mind.