Chapter 59: My Sweet Little Prince

Start from the beginning

"You can't say I didn't warn you."

***

I couldn't recognize the words echoing around me, they didn't even sound like English. They sounded wrong, the wrong sounds, weird syllables, but the voice was familiar.

"Mi shebeirach avoteinu m'kor habrachah l'imoteinu." That was Spencer's voice.

That wasn't English... My mind raced back to my language classes in college, trying to figure out what it was.

He continued, "Mi shebeirach imoteinu m'kor habrachah laavoteinu. HaKadosh Barukh Hu, yimalei rahamim aleha, u-l'hay-otah." The words flowed out of his mouth fluently, as smooth as his English.

It felt wrong intruding on this, I knew what it was and how desperate he must be. I tried to move, but everything hurt.

"Spence," I managed to whisper. "Reid?"

He stopped mid-sentence, and I heard him rush towards me. "(Y/N)?"

"Spencer," I groaned, trying to turn towards him, "Were you praying?"

He was silent. I waited.

"I didn't know what else to do," he whispered, "You- you died- I was desperate."

"Spencer," I tried to move towards him.

"Shh, it's okay, I'm here," he grabbed my hand, "I'm here."

"Alyss- what happened... The kids?" I could barely string my words together.

"You're safe, that's all that matters," he kissed my forehead, "It's okay."

"Spencer-" my hand tightened around his, "I'm sorry."

He kissed me again, "It's okay, you're safe and that's all that matters. Now sleep, I'll be here."

***

My dreams echoed with Spencer's prayers. I remembered now; an old Hebrew prayer for healing. I thought back to our conversation about religion, years ago.

"Technically, my mother is Jewish," the memory echoed. "I don't ever go to synagogue or anything."

"I was desperate." He'd whispered, "You died."

***

Soft voices echoed around me.

"She's healing well," a voice said, "I can't explain why she's not fully awake."

"You can't figure it out? You can't explain it? What use are you?" That voice... Spencer's. He was angry.

"Reid!" Hotch's deep voice echoed, "Sit down and shut up, now."

"I'm truly sorry, agents-"

"It's Doctor." Spencer spat. "Doctor Spencer Reid."

"My apologies, Doctor. There's nothing else we can do except wait."

I groaned, trying to sit up and say something. "I- wait."

"Ma'am?" That was the nurse, "Can you hear me?"

I groaned and tried to nod.

"Can you try to open your eyes for me?" she asked.

I tried, my lashes blurring my vision, but I managed to get them partially open.

"You're doing great," she encouraged, "I'm going to check your pupils, okay?"

I nodded, barely. I just tried to sit back and let her run the tests, but everything ached. I barely managed to stay awake for half an hour before settling back down.