Chapter 21: Moving Forward

"So," Emily started, "How are you and Reid?"

I sat back, "Really good."

"Like, moving in together good?" She asked.

I bit my lip. I'd been thinking about it for a while, but neither of us had brought it up. "Maybe? I don't know? We haven't talked about it, but I think we might soon. I really love him, and he loves me, isn't that all that matters?"

"You've driven in together more times than you've driven apart." She raised an eyebrow, "Wouldn't it just be making it official at this point?"

"Um, no. More of do I really have room for all his books," I answered, "And the answer is I need to do some serious reorganizing."

"I'm sure you'll make it work." She smiled, "By the way... you remember what we talked about when we went drinking?"

I groaned, "Please don't remind me."

"I'm not opposed to it." She cut me off, "Really. If it's ever something you really want to do..."

Well, that wasn't what I expected. Not that I was complaining.

"Oh! Uh..." I glanced over at Spencer, standing by the coffee pot, "I mean, I wouldn't complain, but... I don't know about Spence."

"No pressure, just let me know." She winked, stood up, and walked away.

Well, okay then.

Spencer managed to escape Morgan and raised an eyebrow at me, "What was that about?"

"Emily is apparently interested in... playing with us at some point." I answered quietly, "I told her I'd talk to you."

He flushed, "Oh. Uh... okay."

I laughed at his expression, "Spence, this is no different than an invitation at a party. Think about it, and if you're interested, we can talk more."

"But she's a coworker!" He hissed, "It's very different! She's not just someone at a party!"

I rolled my eyes, "If you don't want to then we won't."

"I didn't say that." He said quickly, then realized how that sounded, "I mean, uh, I don't know? I have to think."

He started walking away.

"Spence!" I called, and he turned around. I grabbed his collar and pulled him into a kiss, "I love you."

His face was practically a beet, "I love you too."

***

I couldn't stop thinking about what Emily said as we got in the car. She was right: Spencer was basically living at my house now, except for going home to grab clothes or books. But making it official was scary.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked.

"Emily brought up something else when we were talking." I hesitated, "She asked if we're living together."

He was silent for a few seconds, then: "Do you? Want to live together, that is."

"I don't know if I can fit your library," I laughed, trying to buy myself time to think of an answer. "Maybe?"

"I do basically spend all my time at your house..." he thought.

"But what if something happens?" I interrupted, "What if I fuck up again and you get upset? You won't have any place to go." My voice was trembling even thinking about it.

"Then we'll have to talk about it. We're adults and we have to discuss it like adults." He ran his hand through his hair, "And I don't want to have an escape from you. When I did I relapsed and it wasn't good for either of us."