Chapter 14: Case Work

"Shit," I muttered, passing Spencer his, "We've got to go, thank you so much."

She nodded, helping us to the door. "Is your car blocked it?"

I shook my head, "Shouldn't be, I didn't know how long we'd be here so I parked where it would be hard to block me in."

She nodded, "Let me know if you need anything."

I waved, turning on my work phone to see messages from the entire team. I saw the most recent one and groaned.

Message from: Hotch
Call me now.

I immediately called him, guiding Spencer to the car.

"Hey, Hotch, I'm so sorry," I greeted him.

"Both of you need to get to the office right now," he said, "I know I said we'd have a long weekend, but we've got several missing children."

I cursed, then took a deep breath, "I've got Spencer with me. We need to stop at home to grab our go bags, are we meeting you at the plane or at the office?"

"Plane. We'll brief there. We're already four hours in on the first victim." He answered, "Hurry."

I hung up and Spencer turned to me, "We've got a case, don't we?"

I nodded, "I'm so sorry, Spence, you're about to have a really painful plane ride."

"I knew it's a possibility. I'll be okay, just bring the aloe."

I nodded, ignoring the speed limit as I rushed to my house. "You're closer to the airport. I need to get my bag. Do you want me to grab anything?"

He shook his head, then hesitated. "Any leftover coffee?"

"I'll check." I laughed, grabbed my bag, and rushed instead, stripping my clothes off and hopping out of my boots, cursing myself. I pulled on a pantsuit, a pair of more decent heels, and a packet of makeup wipes.

I sprinted to the kitchen, shaking the coffee pot. Relieved that there was a bit left, I pulled out a travel mug and poured all the remaining coffee into it. I paused, then grabbed a couple power bars, and double-checked I had the right bag before running out the door. I opened the side door, threw my bag in the backseat, and passed Spencer his coffee.

"You're a lifesaver," he smiled, taking a drink.

I drove to his house and he got out, running up the stairs. I looked down at my phone, having several messages of varying intensity and worry from all my coworkers. I opened my mirror, wiping off the small amount of makeup I'd applied, typing responses with my other hand. Spencer ran out of the building, shirt-half buttoned, revealing the rope harness, and I couldn't help but laugh as he got in the car.

"You are undoing this at the soonest opportunity," he muttered.

I leaned over, undoing the knot in the back. "You should be able to get it off yourself from there," I explained as I started driving, "Just throw it in my bag."

I pulled up to the airport, almost beating the team there, and Spencer and I both rushed out of the car, running onto the plane. Once we were up in the air, Morgan finally broke the silence.

"Do we want to know why the two of you were together and not answering your phones?" He asked.

I looked at Spencer. I didn't care, but he might.

"We're adults, Morgan, and it's the weekend," he responded, more tense than normal. Not that I could blame him.

"Well, damn, pretty boy, I was just asking a question!" he said, holding his hands up, "Who put a stick up your ass?"