Chapter 58: What She Needed To Do (Spencer Reid's POV)

"We know the bars he's going to, but we don't know who he is, and no one could give us a good description. We need people undercover. I was going to put my people in, but then you said you were coming." The police chief – Altman, I think his name was – explained.

"It's a good idea, but we're more experienced with undercover work." Hotch nodded, "It's good you waited for us. We have a good profile; our agents can figure out who he is and get him alone."

JJ looked up from her tablet with the case information. "He doesn't have a specific type, it's more the clothing than the girl. Any of us could do it."

No. I thought. Be quiet, JJ.

You spoke up, and my heart stopped for a second (metaphorically, of course). "Or all of us. Each of us takes a different bar, make sure we fit the victim profile, it increases the likelihood of us catching him."

"But we can't be three places at once with officers." Morgan looked at me, as if sensing my discomfort and fear.

"Three teams." The girls all said at the same time.

"We can get the clothes and do it tonight, take this guy down before he has the chance to take anyone else." Emily said. You and JJ were already nodding.

I looked directly at you, "What if he takes you before we can get to you?" I crossed my arms.

Of course you'd already considered that, "Sew trackers into the seams of the clothes, I could do that quickly. No one would notice a tiny alternation, and since he keeps the clothes on, you should be able to track us down easily."

Damn my wife and her ability to be amazing at everything she does.

"It's not safe, what if something changes? We'd have no way of knowing what happened to you or where you are." Morgan countered.

I looked between Hotch and Rossi, and I knew what was coming.

"It's a good plan." Rossi looked at me, "You might not like it, but it's a good plan."

Hotchner looked at you, then at me, then back to her. "If you don't have the right clothes with you, go get them. I'll have a sewing kit and trackers by the time you get back."

As they began to walk out, I grabbed your arm, "Can we talk?"

"Spence, can we do that after everything is ready? We need to make sure it's all set for tonight."

I couldn't argue. "Sure."

***

I paced back and forth in an empty interrogation room, waiting for them to return from shopping. Hotch walked in, and I stopped.

"Are you okay?" He asked, closing the door.

"What do you think?" I snapped at him, "Do I look okay?"

"Reid." Hotch's voice was firmer, and I looked up at him, "Do you want me to pull her from the case?"

I sighed, leaning against the table, "That's not my choice. If she wants to do this, I can't stop her."

"She's going to have to take her ring and bracelet off."

"Don't remind me." I growled, "I hate thinking about that."

"Spencer, I'm sorry." Hotch's face softened, "I know how hard this is."

No, you don't.

***

You finished the sewing quickly, of course and I drove back to the hotel, silently walking up to the room we shared. You put the dress on the bed. I took a deep breath and started talking.