More than Understanding

The following morning Jack wakes early ready for work, as much as he didn't want to leave Nikki right now he knew he would have to. Jack is currently making himself a quick coffee before work when Nikki emerges from upstairs, in an oversized jumper, legging and her hair scraped back into a ponytail. "Hey," He smiles softly as he looks down at her small frame.

Nikki looks up at Jack with a slight smile on her face, he walks over to her side and pulls her into a hug placing a kiss on her head. "You're staying home today," Jack smiles as they pull away from the hug.
She just nods in defeat, usually, Nikki would put up a fight and demand to go into work. "Did you sleep alright? I heard you up a few times last night," He speaks as he strokes her hip. Nikki shrugs her shoulders before moving away from him and walking to the kettle. With the pre-boiled water, she pours herself a cup of tea. "Do you want me to pop in and check on your later? around lunchtime?" Jack quizzes hoping she would respond to him, once again she shrugs her shoulders and makes her way out of the kitchen with her cup of tea and to the lounge.

Jack sighs and picks up his coffee and follows her through to the lounge where Nikki is sat on the sofa, her knees brought up to her chin. He sits down in the armchair and watches her for a moment. "Nikki? please talk to me. I want you to tell me how you're feeling," He speaks softly.

She sips her cup of tea, clearing her throat she looks across at him. "You want to know how I feel Jack?" She speaks her voice horse. Jack nods hoping for a good response from her, "I feel empty..." She mumbles, the tears threatening to spill again.

They spend a moment in silence, "Nikki, I don't know what to do? What do you want me to do for you?" Jack asks curiously.
"Go to work Jack, have a good day... don't let me stop you going to work, I'll be fine on my own" She responds looking down at her cup of tea. Jack gets up off the armchair and walks over to her side and sits beside her.
"I'm just a phone call away okay? and if you feel any worse I will come home at the drop of a hat!" Jack smiles as he leans across her and kisses her on the cheek.
"Go to work, send my love to Clarissa and Thomas," She responds pushing him away slightly.

Jack chuckles with a cheeky smirk on his face before responding, "Do you want me to grab Thomas by the cheek and give him a big fat snog? That kind of love?" Jack asks.
She rolls her eyes at him, "I hope not, Thomas would kill you" She responds with a smile. Jack smirks knowing she had finally smiled and that he could go to work knowing she is going to be okay on her own.
He kisses her on the lips and then gets up from the sofa, "Okay, call me if you need me," He speaks as he leaves for work.

Half an hour later Jack arrives at work, "Ahh the travellers return, how was the holiday?" Clarissa smiles as she looks up from her desk to see Jack coming in, "Where's Nikki?" She adds noticing Nikki hasn't followed him in.
Jack puts his bag down and removes his jacket, he turns around looking at his co-worker, "She's not coming in today," He speaks.
"Oh no, what's wrong with her? is the baby okay?" Clarissa quizzes as she knew Nikki's pregnant, Jack's face drops and he finds himself slumping down into his chair, "Jack?" She speaks her tone of voice full of worry.

He runs his hands across his face and up through his hair, "She lost the baby... it died, we found out yesterday, she's been carrying a dead fetus around for a whole week. She thinks it's her fault."

Clarissa looks at her colleague in shock, "I'm so sorry, this must be so hard for you both. Please accept my deepest condolences..." Clarissa speaks.
"Who's died?" A voice comes from the door.
Jack and Clarissa look across the room to see Thomas stood watching his co-workers. Jack knew Thomas has no idea about Nikki being pregnant and sighs before speaking up, "Nikki was pregnant..." He mumbles.
"Oh, congratulations!" Thomas beams, but his smile soon falls to a frown.
Clarissa shakes her head as he looks between Jack and Clarissa. "No, it's not congratulations. She lost the baby... miscarried. The midwife and doctor believe the baby hadn't developed properly, heart and lungs wise. The baby would have died either way."

Thomas looks at Jack sympathetically, "I'm so sorry, please let Nikki know she can have as much time off as she needs. Tell her not to worry, I'll sort it with HR," Thomas explains and Jack nods with a small smile knowing Nikki would appreciate the support of her co-workers.