She Knew All Along

Today is Jack and Nikki's last working day before they go on holiday, Nikki is currently in the mortuary finishing up a post-mortem, while Jack has been sat at his desk for a while murmuring to himself and sighing, Clarissa on the other hand had noticed Jack's body language and how protective he has gotten over Nikki in the last week, "What are you up to Jack?" Clarissa quizzes as she moves over to Jack's side. 
Jack snaps out of his daydream as he stares at his computer screen, "Hmm, Just browsing" Jack mutters not really paying attention to his co-worker who comes to his side and notices the screen.

"Look's expensive," She speaks.
"Hmm, I guess."
Clarissa raises an eyebrow waiting to see if Jack has any more to say but before he can say any more Clarissa speaks up again, "Nice looking rock there, burn a hole in your wallet. And what might that be for?"

He glances around at Clarissa and smirks slightly, "You know it doesn't always have to be something important."
"It's always something important with you Jack, I've seen you and Nikki recently, you really aren't subtle are you?" His friend says. 
"What's there to be subtle about?" Jack smirks. 
"Oh my lord, you two are like lovesick teenagers, you can't help but touch and hold each other. You keep touching somewhere in particular which got me thinking," Clarissa states sitting forwards slightly.

Jack looks away and back at the screen trying to think of what she may have seen recently between them, "I don't follow?" He speaks. 
"No Jack, come on I know and you know obviously, Nikki's pregnant isn't she? I've seen you cupping her stomach and stroking it," She responds. 

Jack panics for a brief moment but tries to keep calm, "Erm... I don't know what you mean!" 
Clarissa rolls her eyes for what feels like the thousandth time and then look back at him, "She mentioned that she could be pregnant last week, I'm gathering she got a positive test?" Clarissa explains as Jack shoots her a look, "Don't worry, I was the one who urged her to tell you... congratulations... Daddy," She smirks with a chuckle. 
"Don't call me that, it's weird. I still haven't got my head around it," He smirks before waking his computer screen again which is about to go into locked mode. 

"So the ring, are you going to give it to her like an eternity band once she's had the baby?" Clarissa asks. He shakes his head and then it hits her what he's going to do. "You're going to propose, aren't you?" She smirks feeling rather happy for the pair currently. 

He smiles and nods, "Don't tell her, please. I'm going to do it while in Italy."
"In Italy? that soon?" She chokes. 
"Yes, I've been thinking about it for ages," Jack explains. Clarissa nods and decides to say no more to her colleague as she doesn't want to upset him in any way. "I love her, I want us to be happy, this news of the baby has just made us so much happier," 

"Are you sure you're ready for this? I mean it's all good you two in a relationship but are you really ready to become parents together?" She quizzes.
"Of course we are, well I think so anyway. She hasn't told me she's not," Jack responds slightly unsure by Clarissa's comment. 
"Nikki would want a child, most women her age crave a child, I mean it's all good now. But babies really do test relationships, the whole sleepless nights and all," She speaks trying to get her colleague to see both ends of the argument.

Jack shoots a glare at his colleague, "What are you trying to tell me? That I shouldn't propose, that I shouldn't make her happy and that I should just walk away from our son or daughter when times get tough?" He snaps his accent getting thicker with the anger. 
"No, No, You know I didn't mean it like that!" She responds.
"You were very clear about how you felt just, I'll prove you wrong," He replies and looks back at the computer screen, Clarissa sighs and leaves his side letting him carry on with his internet browsing.

Nikki soon arrives from the mortuary carrying one of her facial reconstruction models, she smiles at Jack as she places it down on her desk and sits down, Jack smirks to himself as he continues to browse for engagement rings. While Nikki works on her facial reconstruction from the Acid bath murders Jack comes across the perfect ring and reads into it before deciding it would be the best before checking it out and paying for it, He glances up at Nikki and smirks before waiting for confirmation.