Chapter 52 | backup plan

"(Y/n)"

Who was that? Why do they sound so... muffled?

"L wake up!"

L? Oh L your boyfriend.

"(Y/n!)"

Feeling someone shake you, you stirred, opening your eyes to feel a pounding in your head. When your vision cleared, you saw the taskforce looking down at you, L managing to push himself up off the floor next to you.

"What happened? Are you guys ok?" Matsuda asked.

"Fuck my head..." you mumbled.

"Wait- WAIT-"

You all turned to look at L, scrambling to his feet and over to the desk.

"The notebook gone..." he said.

"WHAT-"

You scrambled to your feet, rushing up to him. Looking over his shoulder the case the death note was in was empty. You frantically looked around for it, but it was nowhere to be found.

"Where's Light?" L asked.

"We haven't seen him" Aizawa replied.

L turned on the security feed, looking over all the rooms to find every one of them empty.

"No no no no god FUCKING damnit!" You panicked.

It was clear what had happened now, everything clicked into place. Your eyes fell on something lying on the floor, a police baton. Unusually they were in storage, that must be what he used to knock you out.

"He's got his memories back and taken the book!" L exclaimed.

"He can't have-" Mr Yagami began, only to be cut off by an irritated L.

"LOOK I KNOW HES YOUR SON AND ITS HARD TO PROCESS BUT THE PROOF IS IN MY MILD CONCUSSION AND THE MISSING BOOK OK? I KNOW ITS HARD TO ACCEPT BUT IF YOU CANT THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULD LEAVE THE CASE!" L snapped.

The room fell silent, none of them had ever heard L hell or get angry before. You sighed, L was right even if he was a bit harsh about it.

"Look, I get it. Any parent would never want their son to end up a killer. But L's right, we have the evidence, and maybe it is best you leave for the sake of your family and your safety and well-being" you said.

The taskforce all knew you were right, but none of them wanted to admit it. They just stayed silent, unable to process it.

"L... I think we need to act on plan B" You sighed.

"You sure? That will reveal... everything" he replied.

"We don't really have a choice. I'll fly over the city and see if I can spot them anywhere, you get up to the highlands and inform the Kami, get their help"

"Got it"

The doors to the balcony were open for breeze, so you had the perfect running start. Shifting before the taskforces eyes, you ran at the edge of the balcony, stepping onto the railing and jumping off into the air. L watched the taskforces expressions turn to pure shock, unable believe what they just saw.

"Matsuda" L said.

"Yeah..?"

"Explain... everything"

Before anyone could say anything, L pulled his shirt off to not rip it with his wings and shifted, following your jump off the balcony and shot into the clouds. Hopefully Matsuda would explain everything right. L remembered the route you told him, taking mere minutes to break through the cloud barrier between the human realm and aether. He didn't have time to take in the sights, he just headed straight for the staircase up to the highlands. Instead of running up it, he just flew as fast as his now fully formed wings would take him.