Chapter 49 | back on track

The doctors were astounded how quickly you'd healed, but you and L knew full well it was a deity quality to heal fast. Of course, the humans didn't know that. So only a few weeks later and you were back at taskforce. Still a little shaky on your prosthetic you had crutches until you got use to it.

"Guess who's baaaacckkk!" You said.

The taskforce turned to look in the doorway, finding you overtired looking and slightly disheveled but alive and well minus a foot. Conveniently, light and Misa weren't there.

"Thank god you're ok, that was a fast recovery" Mr Yagami said.

"I told you I'm a trooper"

You sat next to L, so far he was the only one that knew you'd had your foot amputated. You gave him a sly look.

"Guys watch this"

You picked up your leg, grabbing the prosthetic and pulling it right off. The taskforce all gasped in shock.

"Woah hold on, you had to have it amputated?" Matsuda asked.

"Yep, the bullet did too much damage and paralysed the foot so they just chopped it off"

"You're awfully casual about this" Aizawa said.

"Humour is a good coping mechanism. Take it from Mr depression jokes"

L lightly whacked your arm.

"You're one to talk, the day after you woke up you were already making pirate jokes" he said.

"What, I'm a peg leg pirate now" you joked.

"Ok, enough small talk, we have a case to solve. We have contained the weapon"

The taskforce turned to L all intensely interested. He vanished upstairs for a moment, coming back with a case with a combination lock on it. Unlocking it, he opened it and pulled out the death note.

"A book?" Mogi asked.

"A death note. Whoever's name is written in the pages will die. If the death isn't specified, they'll just have a heart attack. I'll let you touch it, but when you do don't freak out. A Shinigami will become visible to you"

"Hold on- shinigami?" Mr Yagami asked.

"They exist, I've been staring it in the face all day..."

Rem was in the room, as was Ryuk. They wouldn't be able to see him but they will see Rem. Holding out the book, each member of the taskforce touched it, jumping when they laid eyes on the tall skeleton looking Shinigami before them.

"This is Rem, she was the one that dropped this book. Once it hits the human realm it's part of the human realm and belongs to whoever picks it up" L explained.

"So you're telling me this all happened because a Shinigami lost a book?" Aizawa asked.

"It's not my book" Rem said, the taskforce a little intimidated by her presence "it belonged to another Shinigami who died and wished to drop it for a human he fell in love with. I was just the one that followed it down to the human realm. It ended up in the hands of Kira, I had no say in the matter of what the book was used for"

"Let me add this, I have reason to believe that whoever uses the book looses their memory of their crimes when they pass it on. Which is why Light and Misa have zero memory of the months leading up to their condiment. Under absolutely no circumstances must Light or Misa touch this book. If they do so, they'll regain their memories, and continue to act as Kira" L explained.

The taskforce still didn't like the idea of Light being Kira, and were quick to try and poke a hole into L's theory. Which he knew was true but they didn't.

"Wouldn't Higuchi have lost his memory then?" Mr Yagami asked.

"He didn't pass the book on. I stole it off him from his car" L fired back.

Stumped, the evidence against Light and Misa was piling up against them. You watched the meeting go down, L reading over the rules of the book, Rem answering any questions she could, Ryuk being annoying in the background but only visible to you and L.

You could feel the energy of the room change, there was still a heavy cloud of denial from the taskforce not wanting to admit light was kira. But Matsuda knew because of you and L, although he didn't like it. You could feel cracks starting to form in that cloud though. Someone was starting to come to your side, and from the looks of it... it might be Aizawa.

Getting distanced by something brushing the ankle of your in tact leg, you glanced down seeing a snake with a paper in its mouth. You didn't panic, you knew it was a sacred animal sent by a Kami. You watched it slither un noticed over to L. You watched L slightly flinch when he felt it slide into the leg of his pants. But he didn't panic or break the speech he was currently giving to the taskforce about the death note. He knew it was from a Kami too.

You were aware of L asking the Kami to keep his successors safe, not of his little plan with Dionysus that'd gone off without a hitch so far. The snake stayed wrapped around his leg under his jeans while the meeting continued.

"We need to figure out what to do with the book. We need to prove it works in other to secure a conviction in court. So, think up ways to do that over the next few days. But it's late right now and I'm sure everyone's tired from non stop paperwork over that sting operation. Tonight we'll sleep as usual but be prepared to go back to late night work afterward" L said.

After packing up and good nights, L locked the death note back up and the both of you went up to your room. The first thing L did was take the snake out of his jeans.

"You gave me a fright there olive" He giggled.

"Sneaky hiding spot I'll give him that. Wait how do you know his name?" You asked.

"U-uh, Dionysus mentioned it when we were sorting out the boys. Thanks for helping by the way"

"Anything for my baby"

Taking the paper from olive and thanking him, he slithered off to wrap around the lamp for warmth in wait of a letter to return to the high lands. You looked over L's shoulder as he opened the paper up.

Boys are behaving, they're awesome kids. They miss you though, be sure to make time for them soon.
-Dionysus.
P.s. flip the page over.

Flipping it over, the back of the paper was littered with drawings the boys did, hello messages from each of them and stickers. L smiled, glad to knew they still liked him after so long.

"Aw, they love you so much" you cooed.

"I miss them, when this damn interrogation is over I'm rushing up there to see them"