Chapter 34 | air dance

Standing out on the rooftop, watching the night life of the city go by, you thought. Very deeply.

There was still a chance Light could get his memories back if he has hidden a page of the death note, or if he gets his hands on the second one. Just because you've eliminated one death note from the equation doesn't mean there's still risks. Said note book was hidden in your satchel at the back of your closet which was locked with a key only you and L had. And no one else knew you had it.

There was a small problem, now that you had the book... Ryuk wouldn't stop following you. He has been watching light too, but god damn it how does light live with that thing? Ryuk has zero sense of personal space and is always talking. Guess he really is that bored.

Time was ticking. But you couldn't force L into anything. This whole plan was on him. Now it was just a matter of waiting and hoping the timing is right. Hearing a door open and close, you knew who it was so didn't bother shifting back into your human form. L leaned on the railing beside you.

"You're overthinking" he said.

"You're one to talk" you replied.

"I know. But you need to stop worrying. The rest of this plan hinges on me"

"You need to stop stressing yourself out. Take your time"

"But then-"

"The whole ritual won't even work if you force yourself" you said.

He sighed. He knew you were right.

"Yeah... I know. It's just stressful knowing it's all on me now" he said.

"Don't stress it ok? It's all going to work out fine"

You could tell he was still lingering on it, you needed to take his mind off things.

"Have you ever heard of air dancing before?" You asked.

He gave you a quizzical look as the wind blew his hair around. He was so damn pretty.

"No?"

"It's a sacred act deities do. Dancing while in flight. Different dances for different reasons, beautiful music, usually done at night under the stars. I love watching it, it's so gorgeous to look at" you explained.

"You're not going to ask me to dance are you? I don't even have wings yet"

"I'm not saying we have to dance in flight yet, but..."

He cracked a smile and sighed, shyly looking away.

"I can't dance" he said.

"You know capoeira, that's a type of fighting that involved dance"

"I'm not very good at the dance part though"

You took his hands, pulling him to the centre of the rooftop. He had a hopeless yet loving look in his eyes. He knew he wasn't going to win here, but he wasn't upset about it. Dancing alone on a rooftop under the stars is rather romantic after all.

"Surely you know how to waltz" you said.

"Box steps right?"

"Exactly... one hand here, the other here"

You placed one of his hands on your waist, the other you intertwined your fingers. Placing your free hand on his shoulder.

"Right, back, left, forward" you said, guiding the steps.

Getting into a rhythm, you continued to guide the dance.

"Now since you're the one without wings here, you'll be the one lifted" you smiled.

"You sure?"

"Positive, now..."

You pulled his hand up to spin him around, grabbing his waist and lifting him up and around.

"Am I really that light?" He laughed.

"Yes, you need to eat more filling foods sweetheart" you replied.

"I know I know"

Spinning him back to face you, the waltz started to get a mind of its own, morphing into random spins and lifts and kicks all ending back in each others arms.

"Is it harder to do this in flight?" L asked.

"After a while flying just becomes second nature. You don't even have to think about it to do it. So after a while yeah" you replied.

Spinning him one last time he wrapped himself into your arms, wrapping his arms around you and resting his head against your shoulder. Your arms and wings wrapping around him.

"I wish I remembered our past lives together... it's been what? Half a year now and it feels like I've known you forever. Which I have, just in another life" he sighed.

"There are many moments I wish you could remember. But believe me honey, you don't want to remember the last days of my human life. You have enough trauma to work though in this life, you don't been more from past lives" you said.

"Well, what's something good that happened?"

You thought for a moment, a distant memory coming back and putting a smile on your face.

"One life time... about 1724... we were paupers who owned a farm, but my god we were so happy... we didn't need money. We had each other and this big chunk of land by the woods and that was enough. There was a swing we tied to a branch, and I do clearly recall watching the sun set on that swing together" you explained.

"We're we... married in a past life?" He asked.

"Many, I don't remember them all but when I read my life log after I died I read about all of them"

"Did we have kids in any lives?"

"A few. I have such a distant memory of you crying in pure joy when I told you that you were going to be a father"

"How many lives have we spent together?"

"You know... once I figured out you were my soulmate in this life, a lot of past lives have suddenly come back to me. If I had to put a number on it I'd say... maybe 300 or so? We're very old souls you and I, and every life we spent together we always managed to find each other... I'm so glad I've found you again. Words can't describe how much I missed you..."

He tightness his hug, nuzzling up to you.

"I love you" he smiled.

"I love you too my darling"

Placing your lips against his for a kiss, you couldn't help but feel loved for the first time in thousands of years. It's ironic really, the love deity never feeling loved. But that era of loneliness was all over now. Because even though he isn't a deity yet, and may now even become a love one, L was the most powerful love worker you'd ever felt.