Chapter 24 | flying

As the sun just started to go down, you stood beside L hidden at the very very back of the University, there was no one around this area, it was closed for the day. There was decent cloud coverage too. Perfect spot to shift and take flight. You looked over your shoulders one last time, before finally shifting into your true form and spreading your wings.

"My gods, I needed that" you sighed, your wings fluttering to shake the stiffness away.

"Are you sure this is safe?" L asked.

"I'm positive. I promise I won't let you go. Now is the perfect time to be flying too, you'll get to watch the sunset"

"What if I'm too heavy for you and you drop me?"

"L... you're lighter than I am. Which reminds me you need to be eating more mr underweight" you sassed, playfully poking his chest.

"I know, I know..."

He looked up at the sky, taking a breath. He was nervous, but at this point he'd need to get used to all the Devine interventions in his life and suck up the fear and face it. His soulmate was a goddess after all, weather he liked it or not, Devine interventions were a permanent thing in his life now.

"Ok, just... don't drop me" He said.

"I wouldn't dream of it" you replied.

Putting an arm under his knees and one under both his arms, you lifted him up bridal style. He wrapped his arms around your neck, holding tight. You gave him a smile.

"You'll love this"

Placing a kiss on his cheek, you spread your wings, bent your knees and in one powerful swoop, took off. You felt his grip on you tighten, burying his head into your chest as you shot into the sky, you headed right for the loud cover to get out of sight of humans. You felt the misty feeling of clouds around you as you broke through them and above the cloud cover.

You slowed your speed up a little, coming to a hover. You knew which way to go from here so you turned to slowly head in that direction.

"If you keep hidden you won't be able to see anything" you laughed.

Upon feeling the slower speed, L turned to look out at the surroundings. He was hesitant, scared to look down, but he forced himself too.

And he was glad he did. When he opened his eyes, he  was surrounded by orange-pink sky and pastel looking clouds below him. You flew just above the cloud cover, close enough to touch them. He'd seen clouds from planes before, sure. But he'd never been up this close. Speechless was the only way to describe him, being up so high in the sunset, co close to clouds, absolutely no other being in sight.

It looked like what people depicted heaven as, endless fluffy clouds, beautiful colours, free open air.

"I told you you'd like it" you giggled, noticing his amazed expression.

"I... this is what the aether looks like?" He asked.

"Kind of. There's more cathedrals and floating chunks of land with ambrosia trees but this is what you see under all that" you replied.

He reached an arm out to touch the clouds, his fingers running through the mist and watching it get tossed up around his hand as you flew him along the coverage. It made his fingers damp, clouds being water and all, but he didn't care. It was all so beautiful. You approached the end of the cloud coverage and below him appeared the busy city of Tokyo. All the buildings lit up and the sunset reflecting off them, but it was so silent compared to being down on the ground.

"Don't panic I won't drop you, but I'm going to hold you different" you said.

He felt your arms move down to his waist where you held him against you tightly. He still clung to your shoulders, feeling his feet dangling thousands of meters above ground.

"Spread your arms, I won't let go" you said.

He felt your position change from flying upright to flying as if you were lying on your front, making him in the same position as you held him up. He hesitated for a moment, but he trusted you. Heart racing, he let go of you, trusting you to keep your grip on him. He slowly stretched out his arms, feeling the wind against him, making his hair and shirt blow back.

He understood why you made him do this. Because by doing this, it felt like he was flying. He was the one with the wings, soaring through the sky over the city, looking down at everyone below him. What it felt like to be a deity. An amazed and exited laugh escaped is throat, a stupidly bright smile on his lips. The most thrill he'd felt in such a long time.

"See? It's not that bad" you said.

"This is amazing! I get the hype for wings now!" He smiled.

Laughing and cheering as you carried him through the air, you smiled. This was the happiest you'd seen him in a good long while. You loved that, you loved seeing him so emotional and full of joy. You loved him.

You spotted the hotel coming up below you, so you began your decent toward it. Lucky for you you were on the top floor of this hotel so there was no chance of people in rooms above seeing you. You quickly reached the balcony, gently setting L down as you leaned, wings folding back in again.

"So?" You asked.

Before you could say anything else, he turned and jumped on you, pulling you into his arms and into a loving kiss that you gladly accepted. You took that as a good sign.

When the kiss broke he gave you a tight squeeze.

"That was the best experience of my life! You have to take me flying again, next time faster and higher with more tricks and-" he exclaimed.

"Ok, ok! I get it. I'll take you flying more often" you laughed.

He rested his head on your shoulder, smiling, heart pounding, adrenaline pumping. Moments like this made him realise just how lucky he was to have you. And it was very clear that you'd have to take him flying a lot more often.

"I love you so much" he said.

"I love you too sweetheart, I told you I wouldn't drop you"