Chapter 8 | realms

Sitting in the back of the car, L next to you as you drive down the highway. On your way to pick up cakes, fake IDs and some other equipment. You decided to come along since you hadn't seen much of the city yet.

L's taste in music was good, on the radio through an aux chord played rather chill music you'd expect to hear in a small corner bookstore. The kind that made you want to stand outside under the stars and embrace the world.

"(Y/n), I have a question" he spoke up.

"Fire away" you replied.

"Do any deities that humans worship actually exist?"

Good question. Many deities have meddled with humans in the past, it would make sense some would document their encounters.

"Some of them do. Some are pure fiction. The ancient Greeks got some right. Same with the Norse and Egypt. They had a real fun time messing with humans back in the day. Let me explain it like this-"

L watched you talk, taking in all the information. After learning Shinigami and aetherians exist he couldn't help but wonder what else was out there.

"There's six realms. Shinigami, the aether, human, underworld, the highlands and MU. You already know about the Shinigami realm and the Aether. MU is where people go when they die, it's like a void. Purgatory to you humans. The underworld is where demons and creatures of dark souls exist, like the opposite of the aether. The Shinigami realm watches over the underworld, MU and the human realm. The aether watches the human realm and MU. The highlands watches over all of us. And some humans actually got the deities up there right. All the most powerful deities live there and help us lower deities out" you explained.

"So all the ancient religions were true?" L questioned.

"Not all of them, but some of them got a few details right. All of the pantheons from ancient times have a few deities that actually exist. Humans stories of them kind of bounce between being true and fiction"

"So who exists?"

"Well, Aphrodite does. She's such a sweetheart, she helps out us love deities. Just don't anger her because she can cause really bad storms. Dionysus exists too. He's a total bro, he throws the best parties. All he wants is wine and a good time. Loki exists, he's fun a total prankster. Ra also exists, he's very powerful I mean he's a sun god. Hades, Odin, Uzume and Azumi exist. There's more, but they're the ones that interact with other realms the most" you explained.

"That's... actually a lot. So mainly Greek, Egyptian, Norse and Japanese deities?"

"Yeah, there's plenty more from other places but those are the groups that seem the most active. The most well known to humans too. The higher beings, or us lower beings call them kami after what Japanese human call gods, haven't interacted with humans in centuries. But with Kira around I wouldn't put it past them to make an appearance. If he can get the attention of the Shinigami and Atherians AND spark a religion of his own then I definitely wouldn't put it past the Kami to try and fix things"

L thought for a moment, millions off questions rushing into his mind. This was all so interesting. Having you around made him completely believe in higher beings and the supernatural, but it was all so foreign to him.

"How does one become a Kami? You become an Atherian by dying a tragic death, and Shinigami are those that have used a death note, but what about Kami?" He asked.

"Three ways, either you're born from two Kami, you're granted the position by an existing Kami or you gain so much power you can break the barrier between the higher beings and the other realms. All of those are extremely rare. There hasn't been a new Kami in centuries. And from the sounds of things, that's what Kira wants to achieve"