Chapter 9 | interact

"It smells like strawberries in here"

You shot a cheeky gaze at L, Matsuda being oblivious to the fact that smell was you being a goddess and all.

"We... made some strawberry smoothies earlier..." you said.

"Wow, that lingered for a while" Matsuda replied.

"Can we pay attention to the case please?" L jumped in.

"Oh right- so these are fake IDs?"

The taskforce sat around the table with their new gear. Fake IDs and belts with emergency signals. L was taking lots of precautions here. And he was right for doing so, Kira was a force to be reckoned with. He was the first human to use a death note so recklessly and have this bug of an effect on humans. You wondered where he was right now, what his Shinigami was doing.

Being a deity yourself, you'd be able to see the shinigami. But there was a problem, even if you could see it and you knew for sure that the person it was attached to was kira. You couldn't reveal that without giving away the fact you're a goddess yourself. You could tell L, but he'd have the same problem. He couldn't do anything until he'd gotten the death note and everyone else could see the Shinigami. Otherwise he'd out you, or people would just think he'd gone mad.

It was a tricky situation this case.

"(Y/n), do we have that vanilla tea still?"

You snapped back into reality, L looking up at you with a cute questioning tilted head.

"Yeah, I'll make some" you replied.

"Thank you"

Leaving him to talk with the taskforce you went into the kitchen to boil some water for tea. As you waited for the water, something caught your eye. A gleam coming from your shoulder bag you'd left on the counter. Opening it, you looked inside and found he source of the light, your mirror.

It had something to tell you.

You pulled it out of your bag, watching the heart shaped hand mirror glow at your touch. And when the reflection looking back at you ripped into another image, you were met with a red rose. Your eyes lit up, you knew that rose.

"Someone is in love..?" You mumbled to yourself.

Anytime the mirror showed you a rose, it meant something by the colour it was. Red means love, specifically burning love. Someone in the building had recently fallen in love, they likely don't know it yet. You giggled to yourself, pondering who it could be and hoping they found their soulmate. Hearing someone open the door you jumped and held the mirror to your chest so the person couldn't see the rose. But when you turned it was just Watari.

"Oh thank gods-" you sighed.

"Your mirror glows?" He questioned, going into the fridge to probably prepare food for L.

"Yeah, someone's in love"

Showing him the mirror, he watched the image of a red rose delicately float in the centre.

"So your mirror can watch people's lives, show you images and tell who's in love? Is there anything it can't do?"

Picking up the boiled water and pouring it into the mug, you watched the image on the mirror ripple away when you put it down.

"That's it. They're merely a window, into a humans life and emotion. And a bit of a scanner. If another spirit is nearby it'll tell me. Since I'm a love goddess it'll only shoe me emotions related to love, but it's still existing when a rose pops up. I don't know who it could be, but they're in the building for sure" you explained.

You stirred the tea, mixing in the sugar L loved so much. Watari was about to grab it from to you take it to L with the cakes but you stopped him quickly.

"Hold on- I've been putting magic stuff in is food because his sadness pisses me off..." you said.

Watari chuckled as you poured a few drops of rose water into the tea.

"You're determined to pick him up aren't you?" He asked.

"Well yeah, it's my job to make sure everyone is happy and loved, and especially loves themselves. There's only so much magic can do, he has to work toward it himself as well but this might be the push in the right direction he needs" You explained.

With that, you let him take the tea along with the cakes to L. You picked up the mirror again, looking back at your reflection.

"Mirror, show me spirits nearby"

The rose quartz, rubies and diamonds around the edge lit up and the reflection rippled to a mess of colours. To an uninformed human the colours would be a mess of nonsense. But to a goddess you could decode what they mean.

"Hmm... no black so no Shinigami... blue... so someone's soul is nearby. Maybe a ghost... and hold on- gold?"

Three little gold dots darted around the image, seeming to be playing a game of tag.

"What are the fae doing all the way out here in the city? Unless... maybe they follow L because of all the sweets he eats? Might have to ask him that..."

You put your mirror back in your bag, wandering back into the main room where the taskforce all read over files of the now dead FBI agents. You wondered where their souls would end up. MU? The underworld? Or maybe they'd get reincarnated?

"This is really good..." L said.

"See? I pick out good teas" you replied.

"I might just have to send you on tea errands from now on"

"By the way... can I talk with you for a moment?"

Agreeing and getting up to follow you into the next room, he seemed to instantly know it'd be magic related.

"Yeah, What's wrong?" He asked.

"Two things. One, my mirror showed me a red rose so that means someone in the building is in love. If you see any signs on who it might be, tell me so I can match them" you began.

"Alright, love isn't my strong point but I can try"

"And two, I think the fae might be following you"

"The who?"

"The fae, like fairies to humans... kind of. They're usually around nature but they adore sweet things and because that's basically your whole diet I think they're following you"

"There's more spirits?"

"There's thousands that roam the human realm, L. And I'm pretty sure the energies my mirror showed are attached to you" you explained.

"Is that... bad?"

"Not really. Just don't make them angry or they'll bring you bad luck. Maybe leave some cookies out for them or something..."

A zip of light catching your eye, you looked over his shoulder.

"... because I think one just stole your strawberry"

L turned to see his shortcake that he'd left on the table by the taskforce was now lacking the delicious strawberry on top. Vanished into thin air.

"Wha- hey I wanted that!"