33: Heartfelt parting.

In the middle of preparations, me and Madam M got to talk about so many things. She was sharing her life stories with me which made me so interested. 

She was brushing my hair with so much care, it felt as if it were my mom.

"I also used to be young and dumb. Sam and I had a fling in the past and until now I carry it with me as a regret. He is nothing but a disappointment, and just the thought of me wasting my precious time with him makes me disgusted." she 'ughed' at the sudden memory.

I felt myself smile sadly, "I know I'm just a customer who has a favor, Madam M, but I'm glad I've got to talk more with you, really."

She then paused but after a while resumed, "Mamu." she said.

"What?" I asked in confusion, "People call me Madam M for a reason. The last M stands for my real name - Mamu. And since you're too big of a sweetheart, I'm making an exception for you. Only you can call me by my name." 

My heart swelled in happiness at how sweet she was, "Mamu.. What an elegant name, it really fits you.... My name is Yui, but I'm sure you've heard that name a lot of times today." I chuckled.

She bursted into laughter, "Oh my, are you showing off your victory to me, sweetheart? Though I'll give it to you, you were amazing." she was braiding my hair with flowers.

But I heard her sigh, "What's wrong? Is my transformation that bad?" I asked.

She chuckled, "I can turn ugly into pretty at all times. But you remind me of my daughter that I never had. Maybe that's why I've got a soft spot just for you." 

I smiled widely, "That's truly an honor, Mamu.." 

She smiled, this time sincerely, "I'll turn you into a beautiful swan that will make Cloud's jaw drop. It's almost done."

And within 3 hours, Mamu finished my transformation, and once she brought a mirror to me, I gasped at the person in front of me. I was... so beautiful. It took my breath away even though it was me, looking at my figure.

"I'm speechless at how beautiful I have become..." I admired myself in the mirror.

"In the end, you were always hiding your beauty with that home look." she spread out her fan and fanned her face with satisfaction.

"Thank you, Mamu.. I am really grateful." I hugged her without thinking.

"Oh sweetie.. With you hugging me like this, I don't want you to go to Corneo's at all. I'd rather cuff you towards a chair and never let you leave. But I know that everything beautiful must come to an end sometimes. In my case, you brought me at least a little joy in my busy life." she said with a sigh.

She separated from me, "Now if you excuse me, I must fetch that idiot so he could escort you to Cloud." she then excused herself as she walked out of the parlor for a while.

I was watching the parlor for her, thinking about a memento I could leave behind. Even though we didn't know each other that much, she has already grown to my heart.

I know what I could give her. A white daisy - a flower people would give to someone they would part from but return to.

I closed my eyes as I traveled back in time and all the way back just so I could put the flower on her desk where she would see it any time. Next to it, I wrote a note for her that read;

"Everything beautiful must come to an end sometimes, but not us.

My plain-Jane look is actually because I'm a florist, and this flower that I'm gifting you, is a living proof that we will meet again. White daisies hold that meaning.
I'll make sure this wasn't the last time you saw me. I'll definitely stop by for your massage again, just wait for me! 

Thank you for everything, Mamu. I'm truly happy to have made your acquaintance.

Love, Yui. "

I then patiently waited for Mamu to come back with that guy she mentioned, and to my surprise, it was Johnny. 

"Sweetheart, your escort is here!" Mamu entered the parlor happily as she dragged this poor guy behind her. 

He was now standing in front of me, astonished by the way I looked. 

"An angel...." he said aloud which made Mamu smack his head with her fan, "Stop staring, start working!" she said sternly.

"Y-Yes! This way, angel– I mean, ma'am..." said Johnny as he retreated outside again.

With Johnny now waiting outside, it was only me and Mamu inside. We were both silent, not wanting to say goodbye to each other. Her face that used to be so stern was now full of sorrow.

"Well sweetheart, I would definitely welcome you being a coward now, but from what I've seen, you're no quitter.. I hope that everything will go smoothly for you and please do be careful when you're at Corneo's." she was the one who hugged me this time.

I returned the hug as well, "Thank you for everything, Mamu.. Take care and be well." 

I felt tears stinging in my eyes, I tried so hard to cover them, but she noticed them anyways and frowned, "Don't you dare crying with so much effort I have put on your face! Now get going before you turn into an ugly villager again." she gave me a light push on the back to get me out of her parlor, yet when I glanced back at her, her eyes were also filled with tears.

She was also sad to say goodbye to me which broke my heart, "If you ever find yourself wandering, my parlor will always have a special place for you, sweetheart. Have a safe journey." she said as she started fanning her face, as if to fan her tears away.

"See you again, Mamu!" I gave her the brightest smile I managed.

But she only watched me with tears in her eyes and a gentle smile on her face. 

I'll make sure to come back to you.