46: Infiltration.

I bid Elmyra farewell and with heavy heart left her behind. All these decisions weighed on my mind the most, but knowing that she was safe was very reassuring to me.

As I was engulfed in my thoughts, I felt a tap on my shoulder which made me turn my head to its source. It was Zack with a slight smile on his face, "Hey, don't space out. Last time you've done that, it didn't end well." he said with a goofy tone yet he was deeply concerned about me.

I felt myself smile sadly, "I'm sorry for scaring you, Zack.." but he only laughed it off, "If you're sorry, then the only free pass for forgiveness is this." he said as he handed me a bottle of some potion and little note attached to it that seemed like a recipe.

"Aerith has been always looking for a way to suppress your nightmares that in the end, she even developed a potion that should completely erase them. She wanted to give this to you herself, but...." he then fell silent.

I felt my chest tighten, "You know, Zack.. Seeing that Aerith has got you, a part of me is very relieved that I don't have to constantly worry about her."

"How did I help? She's stuck in the Hojo's lab because I failed to protect her. I'm getting too much of a pointless credit here." he then sneered.

I felt myself sigh, "You're too hard on yourself."

"Are you not the same?" he chuckled, "True.." I said with a smile.

I didn't realize it but I was slowly falling behind as I was once again in my thoughts. 

My visions were getting dangerous that no matter how many times I've got them, I was losing my life with it. For the first time, I became scared because of my ability.

And just as I was thinking that, I was thrown into at least 5 visions at once. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't take control over it.

What snapped me out of it was someone's fingers intertwining with mine which made me look at its source. My heart fluttered once I met eyes with Cloud's.

He had a faint smile plastered on his lips that made my heart beat. He didn't utter a word, just silently walked beside me while we were holding hands.

"Did you go into the back because of me?" I smiled brightly.

He was quiet for a bit, "I was behind you the whole time."

I felt myself gasp, "W-Wha..? Don't lie!"

"I'm serious." he was looking ahead while matching my slow pace.

In the back of my mind, there was an ominous feeling that something bad was going to happen. And unfortunately, this feeling has never been wrong.

Without realizing it, I squeezed Cloud's hand a bit. He, as well, tightened the grasp on it, as if signing that he is here, not letting go of me which made me look at him. He turned to look at me, too which made me smile brightly at him. He smiled, but there was a hint of uncertainty.

I shrugged it off, pretending not to notice because I didn't want to fluster him after all of this. It has been 2 days, of course he was going to think about. Just thinking back I, as well, get this shaken up feeling.

--------------------

After we have arrived to the destination, I felt inner cold which made me shiver from time to time, no matter how hard I was trying to suppress it. I've had my handful of nightmares here, seeing I am visiting this place once again made me sick to the stomach.

As everyone proceeded, I was the only one frozen on the spot, watching the enormous building.

Aerith, in this huge place, where are you?

After seeing that everyone was quite ahead, I hurried to join them. 

With a few obstacles in the way, we managed to infiltrate the building successfully without dragging too much attention.

"Okay.. Where in this enormous shit will we find your sister?" said Barret roughly.

His words were to be understood since he hated Shinra from the bottom of his heart.

65th floor...

I heard a voice in my head. But it didn't belong to Aerith, it was my own inner voice I heard.

"65th floor." I repeated this time for everyone to hear.

"Wait, you didn't use your visions for this, did you?" Zack asked with a concerned look.

I smiled to reassure him, "No, don't worry."

I felt Tifa staring at me. This entire journey she hasn't interacted with me at all, I don't know what it was, or it could be that there was just no chance to, but it was getting quite uncomfortable.

"Okay, we should get the key since everything seems to be locked." said Zack.

"The question is; where is the key?" asked Cloud.

Barret then pointed behind a locked reception where we could clearly see the key.

"How do we get it?"

Tifa then pointed at the ceiling with lamps hanging from it, "I could do this." she said excitingly.

It made everyone look up to observe the plan.

She hurried up the stairs so she could get an easy access, "Be careful." said Cloud while watching her.

I was silent the whole time, also watching the scene in front of me unfold. Zack then tapped my shoulder lightly, "Can I talk to you for a sec?" he asked, rather seriously this time.

I nodded as we walked a bit further away from everyone. I noticed Cloud glancing towards us while looking back at Tifa who was in the middle of jumping on the lights.

"I.. Feel really bad asking this, but Aerith told me that you and her shared a telepathy. Even though we are here, I was wondering if you could just.. ask her somehow if she's alright..?" he seemed very worried which made my heart heavy, "Of course. I'm also very worried since I haven't heard of her for a while."

I then closed my eyes and deeply focused on the telepathy, but no matter how hard I tried, I felt no mutual connection. How come?

Aerith?..... Aerith, can you hear me?... Please answer me.. Even if faintly..

I then got flushed into visions of Aerith, but the view of her absolutely broke me apart.