25| Milo

Christmas and Kimberly's birthday went over smoothly, and soon it was time for Dale to leave again. But before he did he had other plans. Kimberly was almost done with school and Dale didn't like the idea of Kimberly sitting around all day. She was now preparing for her final exams meaning she was rarely even in the building. Kimberly was bright and with Robert's help with maths was guaranteed to pass with flying colours. But that didn't mean she got rest. "I don't want to get up." Kimberly whined, and pulled the covers over her head. A Monday morning that she didn't need to be in school for? Her father was insane if he thought she was getting up at nine in the morning.

"Come on now, poppet, you have to get up. You can't just be sitting around all day doing nothing."

"No." She grumbled.

Dale sighed. "We're getting breakfast from the bakery if you hurry."

Kim's eyes peaked out from under the blanket. "Jo's Bakery?" Her father rarely allowed her to go to Jo's. He said the cakes were too sugary for her. Kimberly though Dale was control freak. 

"Yes, love. Can get yourself some of their French toast you like so much... And maybe a cupcake for your lunch." Dale sure knew how to get his own way. 

"And hot chocolate?" She spoke quietly, slowly peeking out from under the blanket even more.

"And hot chocolate." Dale confirmed with a small smile. 

"I'm getting up!" Kay jumped out of bed and pushed her father out of the room. "I'll be down when I'm ready." Maybe getting out of bed early wasn't too bad. Kimberly ran across the hall into the bathroom to wash her face and brush her teeth.

She bumped into Robert. "Careful, sunshine." He smiled, patting her bed-head. 

"Do you know why my Dad wants me to get up?" Dale was yet to tell her, but considering both men were dressed In their work attire she had a feeling she was joining them at the office. 

By the look on Robert's face, he did not. "I don't, he just mentioned you needing to keep busy in adult life." Kim huffed. She hated not knowing. and knowing her father, he had some elaborate scheme up his sleeve which Kim was sure she wouldn't like. 

"This is the cafe, the toilets are right through here for when you need it. Milo here will show you how the kitchen works, and I trust he'll teach you well. If you need help with anything go to the front desk and ask for Robert, someone will either show you to his office or he will come down to meet you. I will only be here for an hour or two today just to check on things, then I'll have to go home and begin packing ready for when I leave. I'll come down to see you before I do leave though, okay?" Dale laid out all sorts of information at once, flustering Kimberly quite a bit. She barely knew what was going on, but instead of asking for her father to explain once more she just nodded with a tight lipped smile.

"Good luck, poppet." Dale smiled and kisses his daughter's forehead. If you can't tell by now, Dale had bagged Kimberly a join the office's cafe. It most definitely was not what she was expecting. 

"Thank you, father." She smiled back. 

"Good luck, Kay." Robert's voice chimed. He didn't know how to feel about Kimberly working in the same building as him. He didn't have an issue with seeing her ore often, his issue was with the stress he felt Kimberly would be under. Not only that, he longed to touch his girl. He was stood there, about to part ways with her for a few hours and couldn't even hug her. He knew he was being slightly childish, but he didn't care. He wanted a hug, was that so bad? 

Kimberly felt the same. She couldn't help but feel saddened as Robert walked away. She loved Robert's affection, she liked how his thumb smoothed over hers when they held hands, how when they hugged he'd squeeze her tight as she buried her head into his chest, how his kisses sent sparks flying through her tummy, no matter how many times he did it. She wanted him to turn around and give her a big hug and a kiss on the tip of her nose for good luck. She felt a pain in her chest as he walked away.

She was brought out of her daydream as Milo began to speak. "Hey, I'm Milo Williams, I'm the manager and as you probably heard from your father, I will be training you up." He gave a warm, welcoming smile, but Kim yearned for it to be Robert's voice that she heard.

"I'm Kimberly." The blonde girl shook the tall man's hand. He didn't look old, not old enough to be a manager at least. He was most definitely older than twenty-two. Maybe all the employees here are young, Kim thought to herself. He had dark hair that was pulled back into a man bun. He wore blue jeans and a white t-shirt, keeping a casual look which suited him well.

"My first question is, do you know how to use any of this stuff?" Milo asked, gesturing his arm around the small kitchen area.

"I know how to use an oven, coffee machine, toaster, and the fridge." She answered as she glanced around the room. The decor seemed a lot more homey for an office cafe. There were signs on the wall that wrote about how cooking was the way to the heart, and a cupcake can bring a smile to ay face. Complete cliche. 

Milo raised his right brow with a small chuckle. "The fridge?" 

"Well yes, I know how to open and shut it, how it keeps items cold." Kim's face broke into a small grin. 

"I think I'm going to like you." Milo grinned back. "Okay, well I'll show you her to use the milk steamer and other things as such. For today I want you just watching how I work okay? I'll show you how we make each of our items and then hopefully you'll pick them up rather quick." Kimberly felt she was worrying over nothing. She was scared that she'd feel intimidated by everyone around her, causing her to go into her shell out of shyness, but how she was so wrong. Milo was a calm, cool and collected guy as far as she could tell, she felt with him she'd feel a lot more calm.

"Sounds great." Kim flashed her pearly whites in a large smile.

"The other workers should be coming in soon, I'll introduce you to them. That sound okay?" Kay nodded and Milo's words. It was as if she forgot about her need for Robert's touch already.