21| Needles

"Dad." Kimberly groaned from her bedroom, hoping he could hear the pain in her voice. She wanted for a few moment but nothing. She called again. "Dad!"

There were a few footsteps heard in the hallway before Dale poked his head in through the wooden door. "What's the matter, poppet?"

"My throat hurts and I feel sick." The girl whined. She hated being sick. Who didn't?

Dale plastered a sorry look on his face once he noticed the pale colour of her skin. "Awh, baby." He crouched down in front of his daughter's bed, resting his hand on her forehead to check if her head was hot. "Oh, you're burning up. I'll phone Mark and see if he can check you out. Okay?" Mark was the doctor that Kimberly had been going to since she moved to the town. Kim hated the doctors, nobody knew why but she always tried to avoid them whenever she could. Dale paid extra to make sure she had the same doctor each and every time to make her feel as comfortable as possible.

"No no, I'm fine now." Kim sat up in bed only to fall back again. "I'm fine, no need for the doctors." She mumbled, rolling over so her face was hidden in the pillow. Darkness. She needed darkness to stop the dizziness warming her head.

"No, you're going." Dale pressed. He stood to his feet, tapped her back and reached in his pocket for his phone. He left the room, closing the door quietly so he could ovine the doctors office.

"No no." Kimberly whined as she was dragged into the doctors office. Her father and Robert stood at her sides. She threw a screaming fit in the living room to which Robert picked her up and placed her in the car. She made him stay by her side. "If I need to be tortured then so do you." Were her words.

"Hello, Kimberly." Mark spoke with a warm smile. "I thought you liked me." He teased as he slowly stood to his feet.

"I like you. I don't like anything you stand for." Kim crossed her arms over her chest and pouted. Robert once again had to pick the girl up, this time to place her in the examination chair.  Dale shot the younger man a thankful look. He was getting old and wasn't capable of doing such things anymore.

"Healthcare?" Mark chuckled, attempting to use his warm personality to get her to soften up.

"Being a doctor." Her glare was strong, though he knew she wasn't trying to be mean. Kimberly was just scared. She wanted to seem tough instead of weak.

Mark done the regular check-up, signing a slip stating what medication she needed for her sore throat, and then he moved in to something different. "I'm going to need a blood test."

Her mouth fell open. "Nope." She was quick to jump from the seat and heading in Robert's direction. But he was quick to to place her back in the seat.

Considering Robert wouldn't let her escape she tried the same thing once again but with her Father. "Peach, you have to get these things done. Come on." Dale attempted the get his daughter to take a seat back in the chair. Mark sat besides it, but the needle in his hand only made her feel even more scared.

"No." She pouted and stood in the middle of the room.

"Lovely, it won't hurt a single bit. You won't even feel it." Mark never lost his small smile. He was very much used ti his Kimberley acted, Ans she wasn't the only patient he had who was scared of doctors. He placed his large hand over her small one to show her he meant no harm. She shook her head no again.