20| Blush

December twentieth rolled around in no time. Soon enough Kimberly was running through the crowded airport and throwing herself at her father. Happiness overwhelmed her as she finally received a hug from him after so long. Even Robert had a wide smile spread across his face. He could see her happiness and he loved it.

"Hey, pumpkin. I missed you." He squeezed her tightly.

"I missed you too, papa."

Robert took Dale's suitcase in his hand so the three could begin making their way to the car. "It's nice to see you again, Dale."

"You too, Robert. I thank you again for looking after my little girl. Your brother too." The walk towards the car wasn't long at all. I'm almost no time they were all seated in the warm vehicle.

"It's no worry, I enjoy spending time with Kimberly." She could see him looking at her through the rear-view mirror as he drove. Of course her father took the front seat.

Dale relaxed in his seat. "It feels nice to be back home." He loved his sister, of course he does, but seeing her so sick all the time was killing him. He felt awful leaving her over Christmas, but he had his daughter. He wasn't about to leave her without her own father on Christmas.

"I imagine you've missed your bed." Robert spoke with a small smile, though inside he did feel slight sadness. Now he wouldn't be around Kim all day every day. "When we get back I'll pack up my stuff and Caiden's. We'll be out of your hair in no time." 

"Don't be so daft, boy." Dale shook his head, left arm flailing about, almost smacking Robert I'm the face. "You can stay at my house. I'll only be staying for two weeks, there no point in moving things around."

"Two weeks? Why so little?" The news hit Kim like a brick. She thought it would be longer than that. Her pout couldn't be seen, but it just definitely could be heard. Even though having her Dad back made stuff more awkward for her as Robert, the man was still her Father and she did miss him dearly.

"You know the situation, I can't be away for too long. I'm sorry, Dolly." Dale reached back to place a hand in his daughter's knee. "But don't worry, in that time we're going to plan an amazing birthday party for you."

Kimberly thought for a moment. "I'd rather not do anything, Dad." She shook her head. "Christmas is enough. I don't want to celebrate my birthday." Ever since Kimberly was fifteen it hadn't been something she saw point in celebrating. Her birthday was on Christmas Eve, she felt that was a much more joyous occasion.

"Don't be so silly! You need a party! You're going to be eighteen. A big girl." Dale exclaimed, still waving his arms around as he spoke, even as they pull into the drive away. He always spoke to Kim like a baby, no matter how old she got.

"No Dad, honestly, I'd rather not." Kay shook her head. Not only that, but parties where her Father was involved was full of old men who had no idea of how to have fun.

"No no, I insist. You can have all your little friends over. You won't have to lift a finger, I'll sort everything. I'll even contact your friends for you, tell them the theme, it can be a surprise." After entering the house, Dale took a seat on the end of the couch, looking up at the ceiling in thought. He then reached over the side of the couch to reach for a small notebook and pen he kept in the living room.

"Seriously-"

Dale turned his attention to Robert. He was sat watching the conversation without saying a word. He knew how stubborn both the Thorne's were. She defiantly got it from her Father. "Robert will help me, won't you?"

"Well, I guess so, yes. What do you need me to help with?" He questioned. The good thing with Robert still staying in the Thorne home was he could still see Kimberly. A downside meant he couldn't be openly affectionate with the girl. Robert had no issue with Dale knowing about his love for his daughter, but what would he think? Dale was old-fashioned, you could say. He believed relationships should be between people of the same age. One year leeway. But how was that any way to live? Judging a relationship on age instead of true, genuine connections with one another?

But at the same time Robert understood slightly. He was five years older, which while Kimberly was only seventeen he very well could seem like he was praying on her. But if that was the case, wouldn't he have made a move on her sooner? It pained Robert to think of what Dale would say. He wanted to be with Kimberly, but what if he didn't approve? Would Kimberly brake it off?

Dale smiled, not realising Robert was having a mean to battle. He liked organisation. He liked to plan stuff out on pen and paper, hence the notebooks and pens laying around everywhere. Something Robert had noticed in Kimberly too. Always wanting to be organised. "I'll write you a list, we'll start tonight when little Kimberly is in bed-"

"Dad! I'm eighteen in a week, I'm not exactly little." Kim shook her head and huffed. The girl didn't mind being called little, small or even tiny, but now she was simply frustrated at her father and his stubbornness causing her to be a grumpy.

A small smirk arose to Robert's lips. "Really?i think you're very little." He kicked a leg over the other, leaning back in his seat. If Dale wasn't around he'd have leant over the coffee table and ruffled his girl's hair.

"And you're very big." Kimberly spoke back, annoyance written all over her face, and arms crossed angrily over her chest. Her words nothing more than innocent, but could be read as much more.

"I know." He winked, Dale too busy writing down his ideas on paper to notice. But all Kimberly did was blush.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but this book won't be as long as the rest of them. I want this to be a short little fluffy kind of book :)

How's your day been? Anything exciting?   
-K