12| Ice Cream

"Robert!" Kimberly called as she ran into the living room where Robert sat, ready to hand over her report.

"What's this?" He questioned as he sipped on his mug of coffee. It was a Friday afternoon. Kimberly had insisted on walking home with Elijah so Robert hadn't picked her up that day — much to his disliking.

"It's my report." She smiled as she handed over the envelope, rocking back and forth on the balls of her feet.

"Shouldn't you be scared to show me that?" Robert chuckled and took the paper from her hand.

"I'm smart." She poked her tongue out adorably. "Now look."

"Okay okay." Robert shook his head and placed his coffee mug down on the table with a smile.

He began opening the large brown envelope until Kimberly smacked her hand down on his. "Wait!"

"What?" Robert looked at her worried, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"If I do well will you take me for ice cream?" She spoke with a cheeky grin.

Robert chuckled. Sneaky. "I don't see why not, baby." He pulled her report out of the envelope and was pleasantly surprised. She did good, very good actually, meaning Robert was soon looking for his shoes. She even passed math for the first time in the last two years. Robert had been helping her with her math homework since he had been looking after her. He helped her by teaching her a different way than her teachers, making it much easier for her to remember the methods.

A phone began ringing. It was Kim's. "Hello." She chirped.

"Hello, gorgeous." Elijah's voice sounded. The two had been flirty with one another ever since Halloween, but neither one had asked the other out yet. "I was phoning to see how your report looked."

"Well, I'm passing everything so far." She bounced happily. She had spent her time with Elijah a lot more over the last two weeks. Yes, two weeks. Two weeks since Robert slept in her bed and he was beginning to feel deprived.

"Even math?" Elijah asked in surprise. He found out about her struggle with maths after she threw a pencil in frustration when studying in the library.

"Yes! Thanks to you." It was a good thing Robert didn't hear her words, that would likely hurt his heart ever so slightly.

"Awh, such an amazing girl. Wanna get ice cream to celebrate?" Elijah questioned, already getting his shoes on, knowing the girl would say yes.

"Yes." She giggled. "Robert! Lijah is gonna take me for ice cream, don't worry!" She shouted up the stairs to her babysitter.

"What? I just got my shoes on." Robert appeared at the top of the stairs. "You sure?" He kept a cool and composed look on his face, trying to seem unfazed but deep down he was really looking forward to taking the girl out.

Elijah didn't know Kimberly was a little, and she didn't intend on telling him. Though, he did like how cute she got when tired, which was the cover up for her slipping into little space. It wasn't that she didn't trust him — okay maybe it was — she just didn't want to tell him. She was still shy about Robert knowing.

"Yeah. I'm good. Thanks." She smiled and began pulling her coat on, slipping her arms through and running out the door to meet Elijah

"Okay." Robert sighed.

Kim had been with Elijah for four hours. Robert had instructed for her to be home by seven but she hadn't even read the message. By now it was eight at night.

Robert had enough. He was drunk, that was no lie. He was drunk because a seventeen year old girl he couldn't have was out with her eighteen year old boyfriend. How pathetic. Oh yeah. Boyfriend. Elijah asked her out when they got ice cream at the parlour, and when Kimberly excitedly messaged Robert about it his heart fell.