Chapter 52 - Loyal

Narumi, Hino's mother, tried her best to entertain me most weekdays. We would play chess, poker, and even Operation sometimes. She was a stay-at-home mom who used to be an unstoppable force in the modeling industry twenty years ago. Nifuji Matsunaga, her husband, came from old money. In addition to that, he was a business mongrel who had single handedly created one of the world's most beloved e-commerce websites. They were a very sweet and wholesome pair, who despite achieving so much success, raised their sons to understand the value of a dollar.

The doorbell rang when it was my turn to pull the patient's kidney out in Operation. Narumi offered to see who was visiting. I paused the timer on my phone right away. The whole challenge was to see how fast we could get through the game without messing up. It never took us more than five minutes as we both had steady hands, and a competitive drive, but still...there was a record to beat.

"Loyal-kun." That's what Narumi insisted on calling me. In Japan, 'kun' was added to the end of a name, and used to address men who were the same age or younger.

I got off the high-stools in the kitchen and rushed to the front door to see who was stopping by. To my shock, it was my mother. "It's so nice to finally meet you," Narumi smiled. "Please, come in."

"Thank you," my mother said, walking through. "For the warm welcome and for letting my son intrude all this time."

"Oh, no intrusion at all. He's a good kid."

I couldn't help but cut in. "Why are you doing here, mom?" I asked.

My mother's expression was softer than I was accustomed to seeing. I watched her move off the welcome mat and towards me. I quickly put out my hand to stop her. "We don't wear shoes in this house," I said, getting her to stare down at her heels. "There are slippers in the closet. Pick a pair."

Narumi took initiative to pull the nicest ones out. "Thank you," my mother said, before facing me. "I just need some of your time, Loyal."

In a matter of minutes, the two of us were escorted into the living room. Narumi served us tea and biscuits before making an excuse to leave. I was sure she was trying to give mother and son some privacy. It wasn't a very good excuse either, she said she had to go get started on laundry, which I knew she hated doing. That's why a house cleaner came by once a week to help out.

I picked one of the biscuits and munched on them, while my mother reached into her designer bag and retrieved three brochures to set on the coffee table. I raised my brow at her. "What is all this?" I asked.

"I need you to pick one," came the calm reply.

"What for?"

My mother sighed. "For high school."

I grabbed a brochure. Lake North Institute for Boys, it read. "So, the wait time for my readmission wasn't a fluke. Dad's trying to do his best to keep me out of Jackheights."

"If you pick one then I can cover the costs and you can finish high school on time," my mother went on. "If not, you can select one of the universities that accepted you and jump ahead to complete your undergrad."

I stared at her. "I'd rather go to a public school than Lake North Institute for Boys."

"My son will not be attending public school," my mother said sternly. "You will not waste your time or my money to retrain mediocre education."

I took a sip of my tea. "Do you love me, mom?" I asked point blank.

"You will never know how much," she replied.

"Do you love Tommy?"

The woman reached for her tea as well. "I love both my children the same," she lied, taking a sip.

"And what about dad? Do you love dad?"

"Of course I love your father—Loyal, what is this really about?"

I smiled. "I guess some things will never change."

There was an uncomfortable pause where I broke eye-contact. When I was a kid, I overheard one of my parents' friend ask them if they had a favourite kid. They gave the bullshit answer of loving us both equally, unaware that I was in the next room, and able to hear lies. For the longest time, I thought they loved Tommy more than me because of my disinterest in school and obsession with causing trouble. I switched a flip after hearing their lie and actually tried to change my ways, just so I could convince them to love me the same way they loved Tommy. When the report cards for grade five came out, I succeeded in passing all my classes, and improved my GPA.

That day, I asked them the same question in hopes of hearing a different answer, but I didn't.
It was then that I realized...that I was the one they favoured. I was the one they loved over Tommy, and I had no idea why. I couldn't understand it then and I couldn't wrap my head around it now. No matter what I did, or how much trouble I caused, they never left me in the dust. The same couldn't be said for Tommy. She had to not only be perfect but work twice as hard to receive recognition and praise.

"If you come home, apologize, and promise to succeed the family business, I'm sure he will forgive you," my mother said, breaking my concentration. "I'm sure he will have no problem allowing you to return to Jackheights."

"Thanks for the school brochures, mom," I said, faking a smile. "I'll review them and get back to you with my pick."