Chapter 80 - Loyal

I left the auditorium in the middle of Arisa's speech, while the lights were still dim. I was angry to express myself; too frustrated to stick around and show any kind of support. After leaving the dean's office, I went for a quick stroll around the second building, and I found my way into the courtyard. I had only been inside a handful of times, during its construction, and whenever my father dropped by to check up on his investment.

He always used to tell me, this school exists for the strong, and if I was smart enough to make it to my third year at the academy, then this courtyard may become my savings grace. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what he meant by that. Did the courtyard exist to provide sanctuary to its students, or was he telling me it was a goal I had to reach? I wanted to get to it. I wanted to see what it would feel like to finally sit there as a third year.

All of that was down the drain now. None of it mattered. And there was no point in me dwelling on things my father said. He was my roadblock, my biggest obstacle, and there was no way to overcome him. Once he made his mind up about something, it was almost impossible to talk him out of it. The cherry on top was my ex-girlfriend becoming the Vice President.

None of my friends said a word to me about it. Was it because they didn't know, or because Khaleel wanted to protect her? And where the hell was my sister? What was she doing not messaging me back? Was she embarrassed that she lost? I tried to reach her after my conversation with Matilda but heard nothing back. The former VP was actually sitting next to me when Arisa's name was announced. The shock on her face told me she had no idea this was happening.

"Loyal!"

I turned to find the former VP speed walking after me. I couldn't face her after what happened. Tomasia and I used to pride ourselves in maintaining order at Jackheights. Everyone knew they couldn't mess with us, because doing so, would land them in a world of trouble. And now, Arisa Hoffman was telling them they could always come to her, guilt free, and fear free. Just what the hell was she thinking? She had undone all our hard work in a single day.

"I can't talk about it," I told Matilda. "I just can't. Not yet. I'm—I don't want to lash out at you or project things that you don't deserve to hear."

Matilda pulled my arm and got me to stop walking. "Okay, then don't," she said.

I sighed.

"I know she was your friend," Matilda began.

"No, not even that!" I argued. "Arisa was more than a friend to me and for her to just drop a massive shit on my entire legacy—"

"You didn't let me finish," Matilda interrupted. She waited for me to stop huffing and puffing before speaking again. "It looks bad from the outside, and you have every right to be pissed, but I rather it be Arisa up there than someone else."

"What?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"We can reason with Arisa," Matilda added.

"We can't reason with Joon," I argued.

"Would you just let me talk?"

"Sorry, yes. Go on."

"I thought losing this election meant there would be some dumbass that Joon would appoint to take my place," she said. "Some know-it-all nobody who wouldn't know the first thing about what this school needs, or how things operate behind the scenes. Arisa is different. Yes, I'm shocked that she did this without telling anyone, but I think it's better to have her than some idiot we would have to force out of office."

I blinked at her. "Force out of office?"

"Yeah."

"You were willing to go that far?"

Matilda rolled her eyes. "You and your sister go that far, everyday. What's the difference?"

"And what were you planning to do when they were out of the picture? Sneak your way back in?"

Matilda crossed her arms. "Would that be so terrible?"

I had underestimated this girl, and now I was finally able to see why my sister appointed her as Vice President last year. She was willing to go the extra mile for the academy, even if it was in bad faith, and even if it made her out to be the villain. I could appreciate a quality like that.

"So, you're saying we sit Arisa down and tell her that just because she has a title now, it doesn't mean things will change," I drawled.

"We won't have to do all that," came the sly smile. "Joon will do it for us when he fails to lead this school. He said it himself, there is a blurred line between what the students need and what the academy wants. If he thinks he can clear that up in office, he's dumber than he looks."

"Right," I nodded. "Because that blurred line isn't drawn by the student body president...or by the school itself—"

"It's drawn by your father," Matilda finished. "The man who owns this academy, and as long as that stands, the Wilson legacy will live on."