Chapter 45 - Tomasia

Loyal was convinced that our dad was purposely delaying his readmission to Jackheights. I didn't know where he got that idea but it couldn't be true. There was no way. He asked me to bring it up at home to see how our parents would react, and to report back if his assumption was right. He was becoming paranoid. I could see why, having been shunned so harshly after he filed for separation, but Loyal didn't even blink when our dad threatened to take away his trust fund. He didn't care about the repercussions before but now he was walking on eggshells. Why?

After running errands for Mrs. Easton, Zander insisted on walking me home. I wasn't ready to say goodbye to him, so I gave in. It was too short. I felt like one minute we were leaving his neighborhood and the next, he was leading me up my family's driveway. I held his hand until the very last second, even when he brought me in for a goodbye hug.

"I feel like the second I go in there, I have a responsibility to find out if my dad really has been holding a grudge against Loyal," I complained to Zander.

"You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to," my boyfriend replied. "If it makes you this uncomfortable then just tell Loyal how you feel."

"No, I can't do that," I said, letting his hands go. Zander held my waist and kept me close to his chest. "I just hate being in the middle of it all."

Zander remained quiet. He caught onto the fact that I was looking to vent and not asking him to solve my problems for me. Sometimes, the best thing he could do for me as a boyfriend was just listen. He had learned to wait for my anxiety, to wait for my emotions to pass on, and to wait for my head to stop taking on other people's problems and burdens as my own.

"Make sure you call me if things go south," Zander said, taking a hold of my shoulders. He spun me around and urged me to head home.

Inside, I asked the helpers if mom and dad were home yet. It looked like they were both out for the time being, but dad was expected to return sooner than mom. I took that opportunity to head to my bedroom and change into something a little more comfortable. Then I worked on a few assignments for school to pass time, they weren't due for another couple of weeks, but I thought it would be best to get them out of the way. It was almost nine thirty when I heard dad's car pulling up outside.

I hurried to the stairs to greet him but was surprised to see him with a guest. It was a woman I didn't recognize. She was tall, curvy and polished from head to toe. Her brown eyes glanced up to find me standing on the stairway, and she was quick to point me out to my dad. "Hello sweetheart," he said, waving me down. Dad was tall, handsome, and decked out in his three piece suit. I could only assume he was returning from an important work meeting.

"Let me introduce you to one of the board members from Jackheights," dad said.

My heart pounded. A board member? Did this lady's arrival have anything to do with Loyal? Was my brother right to be worried?

"This is Hamela Tahir," dad went on.

"Good evening," I said, offering my hand to the stranger.

Hamela shook it warmly. "You're a junior at the academy aren't you?"

I nodded.

"My daughter's a freshman. Her name is Reyhanna. Please look out for her."

"Oh. Um. Sure?"

Hamela smiled at me. "I'm sorry for intruding so late into the night. Your father wanted to grab some paperwork for me and I couldn't resist asking for a tour. Your family has been in this home for many years now and anytime there's an opportunity to sell, Ryan never takes it. I wanted to see what the fuss was about."

"My brother and I were both born in this house," I replied, as my dad placed his hand on my shoulder. He hurried off to retrieve the folder for Hamela and left her in my care. "That's probably why he's so fond of it."

"How sweet," the woman cooed. "I can imagine it wasn't easy for Loyal to leave for university and move out but a prodigy shouldn't be held back, I suppose."

I raised my brow. Maybe I could get the answers I needed from this woman instead of dad.

"I wouldn't know what to do if Reyhanna pursued her own passions instead of taking over my business. But Ryan has you! So, not all is lost."

"So, my brother's request for readmission is no longer pending?" I asked bluntly.

"Oh, no dear," Hamela replied. "His file was addressed weeks ago. We think he was right to leave for a more challenging education."

"Did you address this in a letter?" I asked, getting upset. "He hasn't heard anything."

"I'm sorry dear," Hamela said, uncomfortably. "We were going to write to him but your father said he would take care of it personally. So, it was left in his hands."