Chapter 15 - Arisa.

Jackheights' brick walls and spotless windows looked pretentious as ever. The parking lot appeared to be cleaner too and the front quad was arranged with evergreen shrubs and colourful flowers. It was all so new to me. There was no greenery to admire when I transferred to the academy last year but that was probably because winter was coming to an end. By the time summer rolled around, the trees bloomed and the grass flourished but it was nothing to stop and admire.

I was excited to start term three with everyone else in my grade. I was thrilled to hang my 'new girl' title and be acknowledged for something else, something that didn't tie me to Loyal Wilson, Khaleel Abdul, Hino Matsunaga or Zander Easton. I wasn't sure what the rooftop losers were going to do without their fierce leader this term but whatever it was, I wanted no part of it. I had to set my eyes on bigger and better things.

Jackheights didn't have a school paper yet. I could start one. I could focus on that instead of what happened at Yufus Abdul's wedding. Khaleel had stopped texting me after our exchange on the porch. He was trying to give me space to figure out what I wanted out of our relationship--friendship, whatever it was. I knew I hurt his feelings. I judged his world and it was wrong. I wish I didn't scare so easily. I wish I could just turn a blind eye to what his family was capable of, but I couldn't.

"Arisa!" someone shouted.

I turned to find Paulie and Krish running in my direction. My mood immediately lifted. I met my friends by the front steps and wrapped my arms around them. "I missed you guys so much!" I squealed. "I can't believe all we did this summer was watch a movie."

"Does that really count when this one fell asleep half-way through?" Krish complained, giving Paulie the side-eye.

"Shut it!" came the heated reply. "I worked a ten hour shift that day. Not everybody's parents can afford to hand out spending money."

"Hey, you're preaching to the choir," Krish pulled away. "My folks don't believe in allowances. That's why I had to start working at the Supermarket, but you don't see me passing out in theatres."

"You got a job too?" I couldn't believe it. I had no idea that Krish and Paulie were both working through the summer. If I had known, I would have tried to gain some experience in the real world too. I didn't want to fall behind and rely on my parents' income forever.

The three of us made our way into the school, linking arms. I was so busy admiring the academy, I hadn't noticed all the freshmen. Young as they were, they carried a sophistication about them that was unparalleled to anyone in my grade. I guess it was to be expected. Jackheights didn't accept students on a whim. They were either smart enough to enroll or had parents who gave them no other option. Even so, I could point out the few innocent faces who would have a harder time.

My locker was on the third floor, and even better, it was next to Paulie. "Lucky," I chirped, dumping the contents of my bag inside. My friend did the same before shuffling down to take a drink from the nearby water fountain.

"Excuse me," someone spoke.

I picked out my morning textbooks before facing the pretty girl behind me. I had never seen her before. I assumed she was a freshman. "Yes?" I asked.

"Are you Khaleel Abdul's girlfriend?"

Her question surprised me. "Uh--sorry, who are you?"

"Reyhanna," she replied, staring at me with her big brown eyes. I took a second to appreciate her black silky hair, toffee complexion, and petite figure. Could she be a family friend of his? If I had to venture a guess, I would say she was also South Asian.

"You're Arisa, right? Khlaeel's girlfriend."

"Yes--I mean, no," I stammered.

Reyhanna flashed her white teeth. "You're not Arisa Hoffman?"

I shook my head. "No, I am. I meant I'm not his girlfriend."

"You're not? You sure about that?"

"Pretty sure."

"Okay great," the girl beamed. She turned on her heel and walked off.

I couldn't even wrap my head around what just happened. How did she know who I was? Better yet, why did she care if I was Khaleel's girlfriend or not? I felt my stomach shrink a little. This was not a good way to start the first day of school.