Chapter 93 - Tomasia

As soon as Katrina Wilson heard about her daughter's abrasive demands, she couldn't help but get her two cents in. I was ready for the interrogation; it felt like it had been a long time coming. I was going to make sure my mother knew never to underestimate me again. More than that, I was going to make sure she understood that I was done trying to please her and my father. If being their daughter taught me anything, it was that believing in yourself was far more important than having others believe in you.

I stepped into the luscious garden first thing in the morning. I wasn't planning on attending school today; there was no point in pretending to be okay when I knew I wasn't. Nothing good would come out of me waltzing into the academy and holding my head up high, when I was mentally exhausted. I moved over the cobblestone path and headed for the apple trees growing in the back.I crossed my arms and stiffly stood behind my mother. She was dressed for the occasion, sporting her navy overalls, a floral blouse, gardening shoes, and a sun hat with a honey harvesting bumble bee stitched on. She had a basket set under the tree, full of red crispy apples which had managed to survive the cool weather.

"You wanted to see me," I said, getting her attention.

I watched her roll up her sleeves. "I'm not sure if I should be proud or scold you for talking to your dad like that," my mother said.

It was hard not to roll my eyes but I managed. "Why do you care?" I asked. "It's not like you treat him any differently."

My mother smiled slyly. "Well, well," she scoffed. "Look who found some gumption. I know you and your brother see me as the villain of this house, but you should know everything I have done has been for both your sakes."

"Spare me the details," I replied, uncrossing my arms. I moved up a couple steps so I could express my disappointment. "I lived through it. I saw firsthand how much you cared about your kids, so don't stand there and try to save face. I knew dad was going to laugh when I made those demands. I was counting on him to underestimate me."

"Sure," came the calm reply. "Say you were, I'm still surprised you threatened to drop out. That's very unlike you."

"I never said I would drop out."

"Threatening to go to a different school?" she sneered. "Come on, Tomasia. We wouldn't be crazy enough to allow our children to enroll into public school. You had to know that your father would catch onto your bluff—"

I shrugged. "I may have let him fill in the blanks. I may have said I would go elsewhere even without your guys' support. If he assumed it mean me dropping out then so be it."

My mother picked up the basket of apples and held them in front of her. "For all the grief you've given us for prioritizing Loyal, it's strange to see you go out of your way to help him."

I glared at her. "I didn't do it for him. I did it for myself and for my friends."

My words shocked her.

"From today onwards, everything that I do will be for my own benefit," I stated. "Not yours, not dads, and definitely not Loyal's. I'm going to date Zander because I love him. I'm going to take a year off after university to travel because that's my dream. I'm going to get my real estate licence and open my own brokerage because that's the goal I've set for myself."

"Your own brokerage? My, my, that's quite ambitious."

"I'll make you regret not believing in me," I finished. "I'll shine so bright, you will wish I was a part of your legacy."

"I look forward to it," she faked a smile. "But don't get it twisted, Tomasia. You're my daughter and that simple fact will tie your success to the Wilson family name indefinitely."

"Not after I marry Zander," I replied coyly. "Then my success and my children's success will be tied to the Eastons."